Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trimmed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trimmed?

Doing my first brisket and was thrown a curve. Trimmed whole brisket at Costco? I’ve attached a pic. From the looks it doesn’t have enough fat. But on the other side it does. Thoughts? Clearly there is a premium 💰 for trimmed.
    Attached Files

The Costco near me will occasionally sell them, they are mislabeled as "whole" but its a point. That one does look a bit lean for Prime. I attached a pic of one I used recently for burnt ends, had much better marbling. I think I had 4 to choose from, and this one was clearly the better one, see if they have others hiding around somewhere.
    Attached Files

Comment

It looks perfectly well marbled and should hold up well, especially if you wrap after the bark sets.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Not much better on the others.
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks JeffJ. I’m going to go with it. Make it a little easier for my first go at it.

Comment

Those are perfectly trimmed Prime briskets from Costco. You should remove the fat and silver skin on the top as they have correctly done. Just make sure there is about 1/4" of fat cap left on the bottom however.

At $9.99/lb though, I think I'll pass. I can do a lot of trimming and save most of that for sausage and whatnot for $3.50/lb !!

Comment

• Steve R.
              Steve R. commented
              Editing a comment
              Kind of what I'm thinking. Even if you trim aggressively like I do, that trimmed one comes out to more than double the price per lb before trimming when you do the math.

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              HEB has great beef prices. They should be near you bud. I use their prime briskets all the time.

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              HEB? How’s across the street from my subdivision??

Thanks Troutman. Good to know. I agree on the premium price. I’ll get the first cook behind me then work on the trim next few times.

Comment

Trimmed right, just too pricey besides you don't have any fat to grind for sausage or render for tallow.. .

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here