Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Injection Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Injection Question

Hey Folks,

I often do chuck roasts as they are cheaper and smaller for my wife and I, instead of a full packer. I will break out a packer for a sunday family lunch or birthday or something.

I usually just rub and toss the chuck roast on @ 230, until IT is 180, then i wrap and rest. My wife likes it sliced.

a couple weeks ago, i decided to inject a 4lb chuckie with beef broth for the first time. i did my usual method and that sucker took 17 hours.... (i even wrapped it in butcher paper @ 155). It came out fantastic, the injection difference was minimal IMO.

So the question..... does an injection increase a stall or cooktime? or was it just a "stubborn piece of meat"?

I'm guessing some of both. Others here will likely chime in. It would help if you posted how long it normally takes to cook the same sized chuck.

Comment

I too notice a much longer cook time on chuckies when injected. Not so much on brisket though.

Comment

Originally posted by NapMaster View Post
        I'm guessing some of both. Others here will likely chime in. It would help if you posted how long it normally takes to cook the same sized chuck.
        usually 10-12 hours so far on all the others. Uninjected. Approx 4lb.

Comment

Gotcha. I strongly suspect your added liquid was the primary culprit. Sounds like an idea for an experiment.

Comment

The stall is the result of evaporation, so adding moisture by injecting will make the stall take longer. Aluminum foil will lock in the moisture better than butcher paper thus creating a braising effect. One pitmaster contends that the meat quits taking on smoke at 140 internal temp.

Comment

LA Pork Butt NapMaster thanks guys. I usually use butcher paper. I don’t think I have used foil. Will foil make the bark soggy?

Comment

• Donw
                Donw commented
                Editing a comment
                Usually it will make it softer. Some remove the wrap for the last hour or so to try and harden the bark back up.

• NapMaster
                NapMaster commented
                Editing a comment
                That is what I understand. Since I don't wrap anything, I'm not the expert. I would say that some folks are into a crispy sort of bark and others don't care one way or another. I'm in the latter group.

BTW, that is a fine looking dog.

Rhett

• LA Pork Butt
                LA Pork Butt commented
                Editing a comment
                Since you like to slice it, unwrapping it in the last hour should tighten up the bark. Save the juices for when you serve it.

Donw NapMaster LA Pork Butt Thanks guys. I will give the suggestions a try. NapMaster she is a blue Staffordshire Bull Terrier, not to be confused with an Am-Staff, which can weigh up to 90lbs, Staffordshire Bull Terriers are not supposed to exceed 35lbs. We have 2, a blue that is 6 years old and a red that is 3. We show the red and she has been "Best Of Breed" in the country for the last 3 years.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Donw
                Donw commented
                Editing a comment
                Beautiful dogs. Hope to see more of them in future photos.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here