Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket question

Full disclosure: I’m trying to get along with briskets. I’ve done a five total brisket cooks (I know I’m only beginning), however, I had a weird thing happen today.

Started Ed with A 17lb packer that had been frozen and then thawed. I trimmed and dry brined for 24 hours and used some of Malcom Reed’s AP Rub too. Then injected with beef broth with a scoop of Prime Dust whisked in. Rubbed with Black Ops Rub then on YS-640 at 225 on top rack. Placed a temp probe (Thermoworks) in flat and Maverick Probe in point with another Maverick probe monitoring grate temp.

My my question is that my point was done way earlier than my flat. It was at 180 6 hours into cook while the flat was at 154. I wrapped (had guests to meet and feed later). When I pulled the brisket it was 203 in flat, however, the point was 212 and had been there awhile waiting for flat.

Thoughts or explanations appreciated.

The taste was good. Flat was a bit dry, but, had good pull and when dipped in juices was tasty. Trying point tonight and will report back.

Thanks for the help,

Sweaty

Full packer- thickest part of flat to probe tender, rest for 2-3 hours. Don't give a flip about the point, it is just along for the ride and always comes out OK.

Point only- 207-ish internal, cube up for burnt ends, or rest for 2-3 hours.

Comment

• Sweaty Paul
      Sweaty Paul commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! I appreciate your help. Will keep this in mind on next cook.

I'll try to find one of my older post where I recorded that same thing on my Guru. If I can find it, I'll shout out to you. The bottom line is to monitor the thickest part of the flat. Learned that here on the pit. Smart folks here.

Rhett

Comment

Have you considered trying to separate the point and the flat? I have gone to doing that, except when I cook on the PBC. The meats cook at different rates anyway, so it makes sense to me. Then when the point is done, its done. No waiting for the point to get done.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Paul, Just take your time when separating. Nothing changes from there. Except you have the flexibility to take the point off and let the flat continue to cook. It was tough for me too, but I am glad I made the change. Sweaty Paul

• Sweaty Paul
        Sweaty Paul commented
        Editing a comment
        So you separate during the cook? Or would it be better to separate during the initial prep stage? Thanks for help.

-Sweaty Paul

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Separate the meats before the cook, then throw them on the smoker. Basically you are cooking them as two separate pieces of meat. Sweaty Paul

Ok so the point was spot on. Took the brisket over to a friend’s house tonight as a contribution to supper. He’s a big BBQ guy. He told me it was the best brisket he’s ever eaten and doesn’t know why he can’t make one like this.

I owe lots to this site and that compliment is the result of being here on this site and learning from y’all. So a most sincere THANKS and CONGRATULATIONS to you all too.

Comment

• jecucolo
        jecucolo commented
        Editing a comment
        I have had similar comments and I agree with you. This site is the deal maker! Glad for your results!

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Jackpot!!!! That is why we do what we do! Happy and full friends and family! Nice work!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here