Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to Cook a 2lb. American Wagyu Cowboy Steak.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to Cook a 2lb. American Wagyu Cowboy Steak.

I’ll be cooking a 2 lb. American Wagyu Gold Grade Cowboy Steak from Snake River Farms this Saturday for me and some friends.

I was planing on cooking this the reverse sear method. I’ve never cooked American Wagyu before and was wondering if the reverse sear method would make too much of the marbling "fall out" of the steak before it was done.

I’m probably overthinking this but I don’t want to screw this up.

Any advice on cooking this steak would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Steve

I'd go reverse sear. It's how I do all of my steaks. On the PBC for some smoke until 120 IT then a rockin' hot sear. Keep her moving on the sear step as she'll be dripping fat like mad and you don't want that to cause the steak to burn!

Comment

• Bob's BBQ
      Bob's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      I've used this exact method - works great!

I would actually be tempted to slice it into portions before cooking then do a quick sear in a pan. I would not want to low and slow a 2lb wagyu because that fat WILL render out faster than anything you have ever seen.

I cant remember where i read it, but i do remember seeing that the best way was to pre slice and cook in individual strips. Quick sear on all sides and eat.

Comment

Have you thought about Sous Vide then sear? It takes a while but IMO the best way to cook that grade of beef. Good luck to you and look forward to seeing the finished product.

Comment

How about at my house!?!

Comment

I just did a post on reverse searing a 4# Gold American Wagyu Picanha from SRF. Same difference as your's, just a bit larger. Worked out fine, really didn't act any different then a Prime as far as the cook was concerned. Go for it !!!

Comment

• lonnie mac
            lonnie mac commented
            Editing a comment
            Where would one find such a post!? I did not see such a post! I wanna see.

Reverse sear all the way. Done many a SRF American Wagyu Gold Grade Cowboy. Usually they are bigger. Just do it outside!

LOL funny story...

I sent a SRF American Wagyu Gold Grade Cowboy to my NAVY boy out in Fallon for his b day. First time ever for him, so I talked him through it the whole time. He insisted that it was too much snow out to use his grill. I said he must, but oven method it was. Real slow up to 118, he did really good. Then came sear time. He scorched up a CI real hot, and threw the steak on. This was the next pic I got from him.

Yes, he said it was the best b day ever.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4465.jpeg
Views:	495
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	642524

Comment

• ssandy_561
            ssandy_561 commented
            Editing a comment
            Best air freshener ever!

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks like San Fran on a clear day!

Reverse sear with a little mesquite or Oak smile while lie and slow. Cook Waygu and Prime cowboy cut steaks all the time like that (have a local market that carry's them). Never had the marbeling fall out on me.

Comment

Go caveman, it has a handle.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here