Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pastrami Question(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pastrami Question(s)

If you follow my posts you know that I make pastrami once a month, it’s my favorite lunch meat. I typically just lop off the thin end of my monthly brisket, it usually comes out dry anyway. I use Meathead’s method pretty much to the tee.

So I’m at the point where I’m tweaking and refining the method. Couple of questions for those who do pastrami often, first when Corning your own meat do you generally go beyond 7 days and does that make a big difference.

Second, been reading about adding ground juniper berries to the pastrami rib. Anyone done that, and does that make a difference??

Appreciate the feedback, can’t get enough pastrami !!!!

For curing it's all about the calculator. I meet the minimum (plus 10-12 more hours) and get on with the rest of it.
    Never done the junipers but I love the aroma provided by the pickling spices during curing.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      I realize there’s a minimum, it’s usually 6-8 days for mine. Just read somewhere that going longer has some benefits, just trying to see if it’s worth the effort.

While I’ve made a bunch of strami the duration will be a personal thing of a tweek. If you’ve been using the exact recipe you’ll know the difference. While I did not notice a discernible difference in the flavor profile I did find it to be more... searching for the word... acrid? Dry??? It did smell stronger.

I personally think the time should be paired with the flavor profile of the recipe. I think if you recipe is loaded for bear than you max out on the time. A purely unscientific opinion from some one who has not made pastrami in some time.

as far as the ground juniper berry be very careful as it can slap you like Yo Momma!!

a little goes far, too much and it’s nasty.

thats all I got. Hope the spelling is ok, can’t find my glasses.

Comment

Answer me this, are there still two swinging honies for every guy?

Comment

Well my main rig is 14” wide so I just lopped a flat side off a packer and it’s curing in my fridge now. I’ve been using the serious eats recipe with the vacuum bag. Seems to work just as well as a brine with less fuss.

Havent tried the juniper but it’s on my list.

this one will probably go to my "Two Week QVQ Pastrami" process.
        Last edited by Polarbear777; February 23, 2019, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Troutman View Post
          Second, been reading about adding ground juniper berries to the pastrami rib. Anyone done that, and does that make a difference??

Appreciate the feedback, can’t get enough pastrami !!!!
          I almost always add ground juniper berries to both the cure and the rub. My family members are pepper wooses, so I replace half the pepper in Meathead's rub recipe with ground juniper. In my view, it gives the finished product a more authentic NY deli flavor. I can't say you'll like it, but give it a try.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks I’m going to in moderation, I love the aroma during the corning.

I would say that if you like gin, try the juniper berries. I tried one go with juniper berries and HATED IT!! I had to trash it. No one in my family liked it either.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            I must admit to being partial to a good gin and tonic

Not a fan of the juniper, I usually cure the minimum time, but don't desalinate as long, I like it salty. I also pull it a little early, then steam it the rest of the way.

Comment

According to MH and Dr. Blonder you should not take the cure for more than 20% of the recommended time. There are plenty of places to play around with this recipe, MH and Dr. Blonder insist that you don't do it on the curing step.

As for the juniper berries. I have never thought about putting them in the rub. I make my own pickling spices, for which I get fresh juniper berries and all the other ingredients. There are so many ingredients and it can be work but the results are worth it. To me, making pastrami has become a wonderful experience. There are so many steps and ingredients that the hard work is what makes it fun. It is as close to a religious experience as I get.

I also like to smoke it all the way to probe tender. I don't bother steaming or finishing sous vide. Just smoke that baby up!

People are floored what they taste the results! And what is better than that?

Comment

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
              I also like to smoke it all the way to probe tender. I don't bother steaming or finishing sous vide. Just smoke that baby up!
              I’m with you. If I’m not giving it the full QVQ treatment it’s a straight smoke. So much less work than steaming and results are great.

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                That rubs barks up like a champ!

Thanks for the reminder on the corning Spin, I do recall reading that previously. I have heard of guys going longer, just for the life of me I’m not sure why.

As for the juniper berries Emeril Lagasse using them in his pastrami rub. I happen to really like the aroma so I’m going to try in moderation.

Like any method, there is always room for improvement. QVQ method done right is an excellent example of that. I will continue to look for ways to improve all the dishes I cook.

Thanks for the feedback guys !!!

Comment

• Polarbear777
                Polarbear777 commented
                Editing a comment
                There’s no QVQ on the public site. I’ve been meaning to further optimize the process for different meats but the length of a QVQ session usually means you can’t test subtle effects of variables practically. I don’t want to fall into the trap of doing something the same way because it works, only to find out later
                something else is better. I do think that how you cook something has a much greater affect than the rub or marinade etc.

Dang! All this talk has got me hankerin' for some good pastrami. Hmmmm, I do have a brisket in the freezer....

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here