Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket Cook This Weekend - Stepping Out of My Comfort Zone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket Cook This Weekend - Stepping Out of My Comfort Zone

I got into BBQ about 3 years ago. I use a Weber WSM 22. Brisket has become my favorite thing to smoke, and I've smoked about 30 briskets total.

I've settled into a method that seems to always produce moist, tender, smoky brisket. But I must say this: I'm bored. And a bit dissatisfied. Because while my briskets generally turn out good, they've never had the crunchy bark I crave. Instead, it's more like pot roast on steroids.

It's my fault. I've always used water in the pan, and I've always wrapped in foil at the beginning of the stall. I figured that was the easiest way to ensure a moist and tender product. But like I said, I've never gotten the bark I crave.

So I've decided to step out of my comfort zone, and pull out all the stops. Here are things I'm going to do different this cook:

1. I'm using a brisket that I've wet aged for 45 days (prime grade, 16 lb, whole packer from Costco).

2. For the rub, I'm using a 50-50 mixture of kosher salt and coarsely ground black pepper (16 mesh). And that's all. No garlic powder, onion powder, etc. Only Texas-style dalmation rub.

3. I'm not dry brining. I'll sprinkle the dalmation rub on an hour before the cook. I've always dry brined briskets overnight for up to 24 hours, but Aaron Franklin doesn't do it, so I'm gonna skip it this time and see what happens.

4. I'm not injecting.

5. I'm not using water in the pan.

6. I'm not wrapping during the cook. I'll wrap in butcher paper after the cook and rest for 2 hours in a cooler.

I can't wait to see how it turns out. I'll report back here with pics when it's over.
    Last edited by TBoneJack; February 22, 2019, 01:01 AM.

While I have yet to replicate a good brisket, I will say that I'm worried about how many things you aren't doing that you normally do that you're ok with. If it was me, and I aged a piece of meat regardless of the price or time, I would change fewer things to be able to dial in what I did wrong/right. Having said that, your basis for these changes IS documented so you know why they work for other people. I wish you the best of luck, brisket kicks my butt The price makes it rough to experiment with, though I recently found a supply of cheap non-packers so my journey starts this summer to finally dialing in something I'm proud of.

Comment

I think you got a good plan! Something I learned here is to crutch at 187. It give you a nice bark but keeps it from drying out. Good luck!

Comment

Sounds like a great plan. I would, however, dry brine. Franklin might not do it because he has to cook soooo many briskets a day. It is not a make or break type of deal but I always try to do it.

Loosing the water pan will help with bark as will not wrapping. You can still wrap, jsut wait until the 185 F 190 range. You should have ample bark by then.

Comment

Good point Spinaker. I'm no pro either, but I will say if I'm hungry and I show up at a BBQ joint for some brisket as long as it's reasonably tender and has decent smoke flavor, I'm a bit of a pushover. And I bet I'm an adequate sample size for the vast majority.

But when you're gonna be critical of your backyard cook like most here are, take an extra step or two.

That said, I applaud your willingness to flex TBoneJack !

Comment

Crutch on bark and feel. My last went all the way but that was running 250 in a pellet pooper. Came out pefect.

Comment

I pretty much do it like you are suggesting except I dry brine most of the time and I do use a water pan. Never had a problem getting a really nice crusty bark using a water pan. I also try to avoid wrapping if time permits. If I am running short on time I will wrap in paper and I do wrap when resting in the cooler.

But what you are suggesting should turn out a great brisket.

Comment

Solid plan, but let the bark be your guide on when to wrap. Once it gets where you like it, then wrap.

Comment

I agree with Steve. You have a good plan but have a backup plan as well. Briskets often have a mind of their own when it comes to the stall. Don’t be afraid to wrap in that butcher paper if the stall is persistent, you will save that bark you worked so hard to establish.

I got away from wrapping in foil for the same reason as you, I simply didn’t want pot roast braised brisket which is what I was getting.

Good luck, ride it to the finish line unwrapped if you can, but don’t be afraid, as I said to utilize that paper as a crutch.

Comment

Good plan. Keep it simple. The cook is what makes a good brisket awesome. I've smoked more briskets than I care to count on my Lang and I've never been let down. I found the grade of beef matters about as much as constant temp. No brine, injection or any of that. Just plain old kosher salt and 16 mesh pepper for 8-10 hours @ 275 makes the neighbors come running. Good luck to you

Comment

• Troutman
                      Troutman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Nice Denali dude, I've got a '17 model and love it. You got a lift kit on it?

• Bobby Q's
                      Bobby Q's commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thank you Troutman . I have a 4" ProComp Lift kit on it. Love this truck

While you cant argue with Aaron Franklin's results, I also believe that his reason for not dry brining is time in a commercial setting. I always dry brine protein, and the thicker the product, the longer the dry brine.

Comment

My guess is Mr. Franklin probably has one or two things that he does but keeps them private.

Comment

Can't wait to see your results! Good luck!!

Comment

I bought this brisket on January 10th. On the label it says the Pack Date was January 6th. How many days (if any) prior to Pack Date does slaughter normally occur?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190222_092028.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	639768

Comment

• Backroadmeats
                            Backroadmeats commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Usually let a prime beef hang 7-10 days .. but who knows with commercial Packers.. I am sure space is limited..

• jfmorris
                            jfmorris commented
                            Editing a comment
                            The pack date on that label is NOT the packing date. It is the date the guys at Costco took it out of the case and slapped a price tag label on it. The actual packing date was on the case, and could be 2-3 weeks prior to that. You have to ask one of them to check the case if they still have it, to get the actual packing date at the meat processor.

I use a wsm, the 18 1/2, and I have done several briskets. I always start with water in the pan, but I never refill is. I also do not usually wrap - I just let it run as long as it takes. The last one I did at Xmas I had to wrap and finish in the oven due to time constraints (I think it was around 170 when I wrapped it), but that was the exception. I am usually satisfied with the bark. Of course, I am easily satisfied...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here