Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket - she's a harsh mistress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket - she's a harsh mistress

Not as super moist as I'd have liked, but daaaaaaaaamn this was tasty. New rub tried out too.

I was surprised it didn't go more.... wobbly? Like pork does at around 95 celsius, but, well, who cares?!

Made breakfast this morning, onions, peppers, mushrooms and chopped brisket fried up with scrambled eggs and then this evening had brisket chilli.

I love brisket!

Beautiful smoke ring, looks fantastic.

Comment

I have had moist brisket, however, if it is super moist, it may be under-done.

BTW- looking goooooooooood!!!
      Last edited by Jerod Broussard; February 18, 2015, 02:35 PM.

Comment

MattBilling That looks awesome man!! I would have join you for that breakfast.

​I love the idea of making brisket chill. I did the same a few months ago with some left over brisket that I had; it was a huge hit. I don't think ill ever make chili again with out some smoked BRIZ in there!!!
        Nice cook, beautiful pictures.

-John

Comment

When I recently made my first brisket in the smoker (just a flat, actually) we had it sliced for dinner the first night then I made Texas-style chili con carne with the rest which I cubed up. I think it was the best chili I ever ate, especially the left over chili the next day.

DEW

Comment

Matt, I am assuming this is a flat. I can't seem to find a point anywhere. Went to Publix today and they had some nice looking flats for $7.99 a pound. The piece was $47.00. No way. Maybe if I was an expert like Jarod but I am just trying to find a piece of Brisket for my first cook. And if I ruin it I won't get ill. LOL

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Guy for $8/lb you're far better off waiting for a sale on steaks, or just pick up a nice chuck roast for pulled beef. Aint no brisket worth that price IMO, especially considering the TLC they need to cook. Brisket is great don't get me wrong, but there are better meats for that price. $5/lb, now to me that's way better if you can find it....but I share your same issue of finding full packers or even flats at a decent price.

• Dewesq55
              Dewesq55 commented
              Editing a comment
              $6.49/lb club price for whole flats around here. It's ridiculous. I might only cook pork and chicken from now on. Although I did get a decent price (~$5/lb for chuck roast) recently.

• Guy
              Guy commented
              Editing a comment
              Guy's there is no way I am going to pay $8.00 a pound. The butcher in Publix told me that if the briskets don't sell then they cut them up for stew meat or something like that.

Yeah, it's crazy when I can get NY strips cheaper than brisket at Costco (flats or whole packers).

Comment

Does anyone know why this is happening with meat. I would assume the middle class is doing better so they are buying more meat. Therefore the meat producers are raising prices to compensate when no one was buying much meat. Since I am in the Building business that is what they do with building materials all the time. It would be better to cut their overhead and price products so that more people could afford it. But as we all know cutting overhead is usually cutting jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy View Post
                Does anyone know why this is happening with meat. I would assume the middle class is doing better so they are buying more meat. Therefore the meat producers are raising prices to compensate when no one was buying much meat. Since I am in the Building business that is what they do with building materials all the time. It would be better to cut their overhead and price products so that more people could afford it. But as we all know cutting overhead is usually cutting jobs.
                There are plenty of explanations to go around. Meat consumption is up world-wide, as more people get more money. Corn prices are up because of drought plus demand as an Ethanol base. Drought in the West caused many to slaughter herds a couple years back, which artificially lowered prices for a bit, but now we're paying the price. That same drought is making it harder to ranch grass-fed in many areas. Those are some of the reasons I know about, but I'm sure there are more.

Comment

Guy they had choice chuck roast for $4.89 a lb at Sam's in Ft. Walton beach. I smoked 10 lbs of it this past weekend. Like we've discussed, its tough to find packers at any price here in NW FL. Easy to get flats, but the price makes you cringe.

Comment

• Guy
                    Guy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Stoney, can I ask you what do you do with all of that meat?

Guy

• Stoney
                    Stoney commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Pull it for sandwiches. Some onions and peppers, little cheese, and it makes killer cheesesteaks. Leftovers freeze well also.

Guy - yeah I'm experimenting at the moment so I've got a whole brisket, point and flat (I'm not actually sure what we call it in the UK, but you guys call it a whole packer) and I've carved it up into smaller pieces to run some tests. I started selling BBQ out at famers markets and festivals at the end of summer 2014. We've stuck to pulled pork and beef ribs so far, but I want to get brisket nailed as it's the best BBQ there is!

Dewesq55 It was a chilli, but I'd be run outta Texas if I took it there, I put all sorts of things in; peppers and courgette (zucchini), aubergine (eggplant), carrots, coffee! It's damn tasty though. The smoky flavour is just perfect for a chilli, especially with some ancho and chipotle peppers in there. Mmmmm.

Jerod Broussard thanks man, we don't really have too many BBQ restaurants over here so I'm never sure exactly what I'm looking for, but I'm not trying to replicate US BBQ so I guess if it tastes good, it is good!

Spinaker Thanks man, yeah, chilli with ground beef just ain't gonna taste the same!

bbqoaf Cheers buddy

We pay around £8.50 /kg retail over here. so that's $13 /kg which is roughly $6 /lb which isn't too bad. a whole brisket normally sets me back about £50

I'm hankering after some ribs this weekend, I'll let you know how I get on!

Comment

Fickle too! Every brisket is different. That's a beauty right there though. I'd guess if it didn't go waba-waba, it could have cooked some more. But you could have gone past the "point of no return" and gone retrograde with it too. When brisket gives it all up, it starts losing moisture and the temperature goes down instead of up. Right at the end, you've got to monitor closely.

My favorite is brisket shepherds pie! I'll have to try your brisket & veggie chili, sounds down right tasty!

Comment

Walmart has Choice CAB for $3.29 a pound!! I have 2 of them and 6 racks of ribs outside in the ice chest to trim and dry brine tomorrow night, start cook about 1 am Sunday Morning, and serve Sunday evening. #MeatFun

I'd post a picture of the meat, but I'm currently undergoing treatment for SmallPicSyndrome. David Parrish has me in the Operating Room, and healing will be here soon.

Comment

• Huskee
                        Huskee commented
                        Editing a comment
                        PaulstheRibList did you get my comment about the little blue pic pill, and possible side effects?

Me thinks AmazingRibs.com must share some of the blame for those outrageous meat prices. Through great recipes, wonderful dialog, and incredible sharing of techniques, demand is exceeding supply from our friends and families for the great bar-b-que being created by subscribers. As we struggle to contain this rising hunger we find ourselves making more and more trips to our favorite butchers and meat suppliers. I don't see an end to escalating meat prices anytime soon considering the popularity of this Amazing site!

Comment

Originally posted by PaulstheRibList View Post
                        Walmart has Choice CAB for $3.29 a pound!! I have 2 of them and 6 racks of ribs outside in the ice chest to trim and dry brine tomorrow night, start cook about 1 am Sunday Morning, and serve Sunday evening. #MeatFun

I'd post a picture of the meat, but I'm currently undergoing treatment for SmallPicSyndrome. Guest has me in the Operating Room, and healing will be here soon.
                        Paul I'm definitely working on it and owe you many thanks for your patience. We'll get you off the table and back in action as soon as we can

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here