Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question on Drunk Chuck Steak Recipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on Drunk Chuck Steak Recipe?

I am doing a 14 oz. Chuck Eye tonight. It's was just placed in the marinade. Here's my question as I might be missing something. The cooking instructions say set up for 2 zone cooking. Then it's put on grill hot side @ 325. Cook till say med. rare. Slice it and eat. So why 2 zone? It doesn't appear to be low and slow then reverse sear. So am I missing something? I've copied the cooking section of the recipe below.

Preheat the grill for 2-zone cooking but don't get the hot zone rip snorting hot, about 325°F, but precision isn't necessary for this because the wet surface of the meat acts like a thermal regulator cooling the surface. Take the steaks out of the marinade, drain off most of the liquid but do not pat dry. Normally we pat meat dry to make sure it crisps. But when using a flavorful marinade, don't pat it dry because much of the flavor is captured in the microscopic cracks on the surface and the slits we made. Grill over the hot section of the grill until rare to medium rare. They'll take longer than normal because the surfaces are wet, perhaps 20 minutes for a 1" steak. As always, a good digital thermometer is essential for getting things perfectly done. To make the meat a bit more tender, serve them sliced. Be sure to cut across the grain into 1/4" slices.

Not sure I would marinate a true chuck eye steak, that’s the equivalent of marinating a ribeye. I’d just cook it like a regular steak, just reverse sear.

Let us know how that turns out for you.

Comment

I'm betting that you found a decades-old terminology hiccup that someone like ... Meathead ... might be able to explain.

Comment

It's right out of the book and I thought I read some positive feedback. Well, the marinade train left the station at 11:30 this AM. So we'll see what the results are. I did read up a bit on Meathead article below and I read the recipe article too. So it's a relatively inexpensive cut. I will take pics and let you know my opinion.

Marinades work on some foods but not on others. A good marinade contains certain ingredients but not others. Here's the truth about marinades and brinerades.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Lookin forward to yer adventures, an discoveries, Brother!
          Many Thanks!

Well mixed reviews. The taste was great. Whatever the marinade did it worked. The issue was the cut. It was tender, but a lot of fat. Maybe i could have done something different. i followed the recipe verbatim. So will I do it again probably not. I have some leftover. I'll cube it and mix in a buttered noodle of some sort. Look for a sauce to make and mix. Should be good. some pic's.

out of thee marinade

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190216_183014.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	637001
        red potato, salt, pepper smoked paprika and in a red cayenne chili olive oil (pre-cook)

Name:	20190216_183316.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	637002
        On the grill

Name:	20190216_185700.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	637003
        done

Name:	20190216_190459.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	637000

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here