Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

30 day dry aged ribeye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

30 day dry aged ribeye

Today was "unboxing" day. 30 days ago I dry aged a whole ribeye (12 lbs) Aberdeen Black. It is black angus beef from Australia. Good quality, I've had it before. I placed it in a dry age bag (not Umai, but similar), and vacuumed the air out. Put it in the fridge on a wire rack for good air circulation. Here it is, and I just sliced it up. Looks real good, it will be a treat to cook and eat these.

I cut 10 equal size slices from that single 12 lb hunk o' meat. I did that because I like thick steaks. They shouldn't be thin and flip-floppin' about. I want the real deal, something which is the perfect match for a reverse sear. These are 1.5-2" thick, and weigh 1 lb each.

I've decided to give away 5 of these to a good friend of mine. He helped me out at a large bbq event last summer, and I haven't been able to compensate him for that. But he really deserves it, so it warms my heart to be able to give 5 of these bad boys to him.

The meat, just out the fridge

Click image for larger version  Name:	dryagebeef_inbag.jpg Views:	1 Size:	452.7 KB ID:	636847

The first cut, right down the middle

Click image for larger version  Name:	dryagebeef_firstcut.jpg Views:	1 Size:	400.7 KB ID:	636846

10 gorgeous slices, just before trimming

Click image for larger version  Name:	dryagebeef.jpg Views:	1 Size:	488.7 KB ID:	636848

That is a beautiful site. Your will be making your friend very happy!

Comment

Looks awesome Henrik Did you have to cut any off of the surface before slicing? And what temp did you keep the fridge?

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        No, a sharp knife helps a lot. I trimmed them after slicing. The fridge temp was 3-4° C (37-38° F).

I’m surprised your pellicule is so light and thinner than the ones I do in the Umai bags. To be honest I think I like yours better, less waste. Steaks look delicious, get ‘em on the grill !!!!

(by the way, 3 more weeks until dry aged brisket day !!!!)

Comment

Wow. Those will be awesome.

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          I really hope so!

Thank you for a great post! Awesome pic's. I am researching the dry aging at home process and am almost ready to dive in and and see what happens. Can you share which vacuum sealer and bags you use? Thanks for the post and any info you share.

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Alright, Joe Kurzeja and PappyBBQ, here's the video:

• PappyBBQ
          PappyBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks! Winner of best foreign film! :-)

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks! Took forever to add subtitles, I’m switching over to English from now on :-)

Just beautiful Henrik!

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you!

Very nice!

Comment

That interior texture and color looks so good!

Comment

Wow that looks good !!

Comment

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks, tasted good too ;-)

There, you went and did it again. Now I’m hungry. They look great.

Comment

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              Guilty as charged ;-)

Great looking MEAT. I have what might be a stupid question. After you have dry aged and cut into stakes, can you vacuum pack and freeze? That is a lot of meat for two people if I wanted to keep it for myself.

Comment

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              That's a perfectly valid question: yes, you can. That's what I do. Vacuum pack and freeze individual steaks.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here