Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry aged Ribeye question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry aged Ribeye question

I will be cooking my first dry aged Ribeye on March 2nd. I’ll be ordering a 2” thick Ribeye from Snake River Farms. I will be reverse searing it on my Weber Kettle equipped with a SnS.

My question is should I salt the steak the day before like I do when I get a 2” CAB Ribeye or do I not need to salt a dry aged steak.

Thanks for all your help

Salt. Dry aging doesn't season beef.

Comment

I would salt it and let it sit uncovered in the fridge. Also, trim the fat on the edges, render that glorious dry-aged fat down and brush it on the steak during the slow cooking phase and right before throwing it on the searing hot fire. You will amp up that flavor into the stratosphere. And you get to really utilize that wonderful dry aged fat! Beef Love brings the flavor like no other!

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        What he said

I’m having 3 other Friends over and we are doing the "Great Steak Experiment". I’m also going to get a Prime Ribeye, A CAB Ribeye and a Choice Ribeye all the same thickness and then we will be doing a comparison between all 4 steaks.

I’ll make sure I salt all 4 steaks as equally as I can.

I’ll document my cook with photos and post my results in a later post.

Comment

• JoeSousa
        JoeSousa commented
        Editing a comment
        Sometime in the next few weeks I will be doing a comparison of ribeyes from 3 or 4 different online merchants. Definitely interested in the results. SRF will definitely be one of them. Looking forward to seeing the results of your test and mine.

• JoeSousa
        JoeSousa commented
        Editing a comment
        And yeah, salt those suckers.

What a heck of a test. I‘m looking forward to your post. And about your question: I‘m on team saltit too!

Comment

Will be cool to hear what y'all think of the different steaks. And yes, salt it!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here