Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to cook a rib eye cap indoors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to cook a rib eye cap indoors

Still without the smoker but it's time for some beef. I have a SRF rib eye cap in the freezer calling my name.
    Normally this would be in the smoker until 120 or so then seared over the open flame. But I'm doing this one in the house. I'm guessing a cast iron pan sear then into a 350 oven until desired temp? These rib eye caps are not very thick and will cook quickly so the last thing I want to do is over cook that beautiful cut. Maybe just cast iron and skip the oven?

The wife is not going to be happy me using cast iron on her new glass top but I think the finished product will get me forgiveness and maybe my CI will be released from garage arrest!

I think lonnie mac has cooked a number of these. Any suggestions/advice appreciated. Oh, I don't have a SV so don't need instructions on how to do that.

I also have a SRF Tri Tip that I could use up as well. Maybe that would be better suited to cast iron/oven method as it is a thicker cut?

Maybe use 2 pans. Slowly poach it in butter until about 110f then drop it into a screaming hot cast iron pan or if you can take the beating put it directly onto the glass top to sear it.

Comment

It's going in cast iron on the glass top that's already been decided. She will be fine I'll be extra careful not to crack the top. If I do it's still under warranty. I wish I could have talked her into a a gas stove but that decision is way behind us. I'm begining to think the oven will not be necessary. Those rib eye caps are maybe a inch thick if that. A good couple minutes of searing on each side is probably all they need. I like the butter idea and will be using that. Thanks Ahumadora !

Comment

Bring it to my house!

Comment

Seems to me like this is when a second smoker/grill/something would be good to acquire. Something small and portable... a kettle, PBC or heck, even a gasser could be handy when you don't want to fire up the giant smoker, once you get it back.

Just go pick up a Jumbo Joe or a Lodge hibachi... take the cooking outside and save marital strife over the glass stove top.

Comment

I have a Weber kettle but it’s buried in snow on the side of the garage and frozen solid to the ground I’m sure. I have the flat top in the garage and I could use that I suppose but once I walk from the garage to the house with cooked steak they will probably be back to the frozen state. We have brutal cold in thee forecast next couple days.

im pretty much committed to a indoor cook on this one.

Comment

Is it thick enough to reverse sear in the oven at 275 degrees? If so I would do that and then finish in cast iron pan with a nice big hunk of butter in the pan with it and constantly basting it for 30-45 seconds per side

Comment

Friday night cooked a Costco ribeye cap. Put it in oven at 225 on a rack in a pan until it reached 115, then seared in a smokin’ hot carbon steel pan. Tasted great, especially since it was 3 degrees outside. Trying to post the pics, hopefully they show.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Frozen Smoke
                  Frozen Smoke commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Looks great!

I dry brine and set it fridge on rack overnight. Then into a 225° oven until interior is 110°. Remove from oven and let cool on counter to finish with carryover cooking. Then hit with garlic powder, black pepper and a spray of ghee. Then into a 600° black iron skillet for 20 seconds, flip, 20 seconds, repeat.

Comment

F S, I just stumbled on to a Lodge video on cleaning CI. Interestingly, they show a glimpse of heating a skillet on, lo & behold, a glass top before cleaning. Check out Lodge.com videos. Maybe it will hurry the process of bringing yer stuff inside. If you decide to take this post to heart, then it will destruct after reading. Well, probably not, since I don’t know how to do that, but ya could show her the video and say "see honey it’s ok".

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here