Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Band of fat on T-bone...remove?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Band of fat on T-bone...remove?

Wanted to see if you guys found that removing the band of fat on a t-bone is the best way to get the most flavor of the steak when preparing to grill. That's what I surmised from the reading up on the website but sometimes folks have different take-aways.

I leave it on, when I cook a T-Bone...

Others, as ya said, previous, will have their own ways...

Comment

Remove fat=remove flavor but as always there are other trains of thought. If you're making more than one try one each way and see what you like the best.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        +1 What he said, ^above^
        Fat=Flavour!

Thanks guys...good call, will remove fat from one and leave it on the other. First task: remove snow from grill, lol.
      Last edited by theleeb; January 19, 2019, 12:10 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup, gotta go shovel out again, clear off intended cookers...

(I heared tell there's an AFC Conference Championship futbol game tomorrow... hereabouts...)

Have a Great weekend, cookin out, Brother!

Thanks, man. Long weekend...just had a hankering for some grilled steaks and such in the dead of winter. Challenge will be managing grill temp but I've done it in 10 degrees so should be alright. Yeah, good football this weekend to boot.

Comment

I don't remove all of the fat because I think it adds flavor to the meat, even if a person doesn't eat the fat directly. But I do trim the really big areas down to 1/4" to 1/2" wide. With my old grill (still getting used to the new one), a lot of fat left on the meat results in ugly flareups.

Comment

+1 with IowaGirl. I prefer to leave on the fat for cooking to get some of the flavor benefits. Then let the diner trim as they see fit.

Comment

I leave it on and trim it off before eating. Everyone else can trim or not.

Comment

I leave it on, especially if you are giving the steak a good sear. Unless you know the people you are eating hate fat, I would just let some cut it off on their plate.

Comment

• Donw
                Donw commented
                Editing a comment
                Looked at the weather map and see your temps were Around -17 F lately. That is fat eating weather in my book.

• jgreen
                jgreen commented
                Editing a comment
                Quite true. Bit cold here now. At least need a sweater to go outside.

You are going to need the energy from the fat to sustain yourself in 10 degrees weather! I’m going to cook some Baltimore Pit Beef tomorrow in the warm part of Maryland. It is going to be a balmy 12 degrees here.

Comment

• theleeb
                theleeb commented
                Editing a comment
                Love me some B'more Pit Beef. Probably made about 25 pounds of it over this past year. Made a batch for Christmas dinner for about 15 people...why not?

Nothing better than a well seared piece of steak fat.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                True Dat, Brother, exceptin mebbe some good ol Pork Cracklins!

Tough Call, there, since I dearly love both!

• holehogg
                holehogg commented
                Editing a comment
                You had to throw that in. A tough choice for sure. Mr. Bones

• Donw
                Donw commented
                Editing a comment
                Fried fatback! 😋

I leave it on and when reverse searing that t-bone, I turn the steak up & down & hold it up to sear and char that fat on the hot fire...yummm...

Comment

Remove fat? What is there something wrong with you?

Comment

If I think it’s gonna curl the steak, I will score it, rather than remove it. If it’s really thick and I’m not on some premium craft beef, I’ll trim it down to maybe 1/4”. On the really nice beef, I paid a premium for that fat, and it’s literally culinary gold, so no... it’s on and I’ll eat the wife’s share.

Comment

• Henrik
                    Henrik commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm with you. I'd cut through every 3 inches or so to avoid curling the steak. Except for that, leave that gold where it is!

Either way ur good. Good marbeling in that cut

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here