Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jerky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jerky

I’ve been making jerky but not using any curing salt during the process. I shipped some to my brother on Monday for arrival on Friday. I wrapped the jerky in a Harry & David insullated bag, used 2 sheets of blue ice, as well as a block of blue ice to keep it cool during shipping. I think it will be ok. If I decide to use Prague Powder #1 in the marinade, how do I calculate the amount to use? The calculator uses meat thickness and the jetky is dliced vety thin. Thanks for your input.

I use the Calculator and meat thickness to determine time and amount put meat and brine in bag turn it several times during soak

Comment

Is that the sliced thickness or the thickness of the meat before slicing?

Comment

• Fire Art
        Fire Art commented
        Editing a comment
        After slicing then a 12hr soak

I use the Hi Mountain jerky seasoning and they have a chart for how much or their curing salt to use by weight that is very specific. has always works well for me.

Comment

• Catmandu
        Catmandu commented
        Editing a comment
        I also use Hi Mountain curing salt. I believe it is significantly less potent than Prague Powder #1, and likely better for jerky making because the meat is so thin.

The recommended amount for Prague Powder is 1 tsp per 5lbs of meat. I always use it just to be on the safe side, and because I like the results when I use it. I may try one of the Hi Mountain kits for some beef sticks.

Comment

Will the curing salt extend the life of the jerky if not refrigerated, or is that only accomplished with a vacuum sealer?

Comment

• SMOG MAN
          SMOG MAN commented
          Editing a comment
          yes when done properly the cured jerky is "shelf stable" and does not need refrigeration for a reasonable amount of time without vacuum sealing.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here