Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chuck roast advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chuck roast advice

Alright, the last time I did this I failed epically. I really had no clue what I was doing. Does anybody have any suggestions on a chuck roast? Rub? Temp/time? I’ll be doing it in a 22” Weber. Thanks folks!

Depends on how you want it to serve it really. Do you want to pull or slice? That will help with temp target. When I’ve done chuckie, I’ve always used my sons Vide machine, so my methods may not work for you, but I took temps high, to 183* in a 20 hour water bath after a 2 hour smoke. This allowed me to pull the chcuck. Other times I smokd for a few hours and then water bath for 72 hours at 130* or so. This gives me great sliced chuck roast I serve with board sauce. My point here for you, are my varying target temps.

But from other posts I’ve read, you have to let the collagen break down, so internal temps usually have to go up. A low and slow method could work, or hot and fast. I know, I know. That’s really no help but others will chime in and guide you in the right direction.

Comment

Here's my favorite method (pulled beef) in the Kettle with my Slow 'N Sear. I've never cooked one to slice.

Get one with as much marbling as possible.
      Dry brine for ~24 hours.
      I use a peppery rub such as BBBR. I'm sure just pepper and garlic powder would be good too. Apply the rub just before starting the cook. I've also used Meat Church Holy Cow and since it has salt in it, it's applied a day before to act as the dry brine.

Cook 250: ~7 hours, wrapping when bark is good, typically ~170 IT. Add 1/2 stick (4T) butter sliced in pats to each chuck roast.

Cook 275: ~2 hours to probe tender. (2 hours includes ~1 hour to hit 203+, and ~1 hour at 205-208+ to get probe tender).

2 hour faux cambro.

11 hours grand-total.

Pull and enjoy!
      Last edited by fuzzydaddy; January 13, 2019, 09:18 AM.

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Holy smokes!!! Butter it is today!!!!

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        This is basically my method only instead of the butter, I add some red wine, beef stock, mushrooms, shallots, soy, sherry or what have you.

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        I like PKB's method only add the budda !!!

I like a yellow mustard slather and I like to apply the rub the night before - a peppery rub. I put it in cold. I like to pop it into the freezer about an hour before I put it on the cooker. I like to run it through the stall with a temperature range of 240-290 at the grate. Once it gets through the stall and is around 180 it should have really good bark. I'll wrap at this point and will run it up to 205 and will pull and faux cambro for an hour or two. Then, shred and enjoy!

Comment

Here's a different way, that is more work, but has never failed us: https://dizzypigbbq.com/recipe/clays-pulled-beef/

Use any beef-oriented rub you like or have on hand.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Bacon always catches my eye, fuzzydaddy !

Try it out - I don't think you'll be disappointed.

• Backroadmeats
          Backroadmeats commented
          Editing a comment
          I was wondering if anyone used dizzy pig seasoning here.. they are my favorite.. I don't buy many seasoning but I always have red eye Express and cowlick steak rub...

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          I like them. Been using them for years.

If you are short on time you can smoke for a couple of hours then finish in a pressure cooker. Can get tender, smokey pulled beef in 3 hours.

i always dry brine for ~24 hours then a light coat of mustard then rub.

Comment

I Sous Vide at 130 for 72 hours and then sear. Slices like steak.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            My favorite way as well, comes out medium rare !!

Hey! I set out a while ago to figure out how to make the best damn chuck I could manage, here's what I found fit my tastes the best after a good bit of help from the fine folks on this forum. I know most of this is standard operating procedure and might not need to be said, but just in case, I'll give the full rundown:

1.) Buy the fattiest chuck you can find. Not the fat cap kind of fat, but the more marbling the better.
          2.) Salt it, put it on a wire rack over a baking sheet, put that baking sheet in the fridge for 24 hours.
          3.) Preheat smoker/grill/cooking method to 225 or so
          4.) Rub that bad boy with your favorite beef rub. Meathead's BBBR is a great base for me personally, I tweak it by adding a bit more garlic/onion powder though
          5.) Get that bad boy in your cooker
          6.) Let it go till it has some nice bark and is starting to stall temp wise
          7.) Wrap it up in some tin foil (be careful of putting your probe back in through the tin foil, I go through the top and put another ring of foil around the probe to make sure it's still airtight)
          8.) If you're hoping to slice, I usually go to 195-205. A lot of people/recipes seem to think this is too high for chuck, even the recipe on this site says to stop around 180, but I've found the collagen hasn't broken down enough around 180 and you're left with dry chuck, but around 200 I find it to be moist and delicious. I smoke to a fairly similar temp if I'm pulling, maybe closer to 205 instead of 200 but this part will be tricky.

Personally though, I'd recommend pulling it. I found the chucks near me were streakier in their fat and not as much even distribution which to me leads better to pulling since that fat has the ability to work through the meat rather than staying in streaks in those slices. Hope you find what you're looking for!

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskyBadger View Post
            Hey! I set out a while ago to figure out how to make the best damn chuck I could manage, here's what I found fit my tastes the best after a good bit of help from the fine folks on this forum. I know most of this is standard operating procedure and might not need to be said, but just in case, I'll give the full rundown:

1.) Buy the fattiest chuck you can find. Not the fat cap kind of fat, but the more marbling the better.
            2.) Salt it, put it on a wire rack over a baking sheet, put that baking sheet in the fridge for 24 hours.
            3.) Preheat smoker/grill/cooking method to 225 or so
            4.) Rub that bad boy with your favorite beef rub. Meathead's BBBR is a great base for me personally, I tweak it by adding a bit more garlic/onion powder though
            5.) Get that bad boy in your cooker
            6.) Let it go till it has some nice bark and is starting to stall temp wise
            7.) Wrap it up in some tin foil (be careful of putting your probe back in through the tin foil, I go through the top and put another ring of foil around the probe to make sure it's still airtight)
            8.) If you're hoping to slice, I usually go to 195-205. A lot of people/recipes seem to think this is too high for chuck, even the recipe on this site says to stop around 180, but I've found the collagen hasn't broken down enough around 180 and you're left with dry chuck, but around 200 I find it to be moist and delicious. I smoke to a fairly similar temp if I'm pulling, maybe closer to 205 instead of 200 but this part will be tricky.

Personally though, I'd recommend pulling it. I found the chucks near me were streakier in their fat and not as much even distribution which to me leads better to pulling since that fat has the ability to work through the meat rather than staying in streaks in those slices. Hope you find what you're looking for!
            Very similar to what I do. I agree on the 195-205 temp. If it's a good temp for brisket, it is good for chuck. I wrap mine also for the last hour to hour and half.

Comment

Just make sure it is fat not grissle.. Chuck roasts from the front end can get close to the neck and be impossible to cook besides in a crock pot .

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here