Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Temp for Sliced Beef Shoulder Roast Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temp for Sliced Beef Shoulder Roast Advice

I am smoking a beef shoulder roast along with a couple of butts and 3 racks of ribs.

Normally, I pull the smoked beef roasts and butts but this time I want to slice the beef shoulder roast and vacuum seal it for future use.

Normally, I would take these up to around 200-203 before cambro. If I am going to slice it, do I stop at a lower temp and do I skip the cambro? Thanks, John

I believe that yes, it should come off before probe tender. I haven't done it myself yet. Waiting to see what others have to say.

Comment

Temp it like a steak at this point. For rare, medium, well, however. Follow your temp chart for doneness.

Comment

I would cook to180 to 190, and it will still benefit from a Cambro hold if you have time. I think at rare or medium temperatures you would find that cut a bit tough.

Comment

Thanks for the inputs so far. To clarify, this is not a prime roast but rather a cut leaner than a chuck roast.

Comment

Originally posted by jlazar View Post
            Thanks for the inputs so far. To clarify, this is not a prime roast but rather a cut leaner than a chuck roast.
            Maybe look into the Italian Beef and Baltimore Pit Beef recipes on the public side of the site. They both use leaner cuts, mostly from the round. So either should work with this.

Comment

Did a lot of cooking today to use the food vac and fill the freezer again. These are all from one cook on the Chubby G2. A fantastic smoker.

First, the beef shoulder roast. Removed at 185 and cambro for one hour. Very and tender. Cut it to put in food vac bags.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	cookd.jpg Views:	1 Size:	4.30 MB ID:	622477
              Click image for larger version  Name:	cook8a.jpg Views:	1 Size:	9.74 MB ID:	622478

Also did two butts for the freezer. This pic is before the cambro.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	Cook5.jpg Views:	1 Size:	5.21 MB ID:	622479

Also did some boneless chicken thighs and legs.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	cook3a.jpg Views:	1 Size:	8.80 MB ID:	622480

Finally, for supper we had baby backs.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	cooka.jpg Views:	1 Size:	8.51 MB ID:	622481

To go with the ribs, we baked some potatoes and cooked them halfway. Then sliced them and put them on the blackstone. I took the juices from where we wrapped the ribs and poured them over the potatoes as they were cooking. Gave a great flavor and a lot of carmelization.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Cook2.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	505.2 KB
ID:	622482

Thanks again for the advice on cooking the pork shoulder roast. Highlight of the day was my niece who is moving here and entering the Army as a Family Practice Practitioner. She helped with all the smoking and made the sauce for the Ribs. Although I am retired Air Force, I have to say "Go Army."

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here