Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Picanha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picanha

I have been curious about Picanha for a very long time. I asked my butcher if he knew about it and if so cut it for me. With a little Googling he knew exactly what to cut. He said it was the culotte with the fat cap. Never heard of culotte either. So he cut me the whole sirloin cap. I later cut it into steaks.

This was a total hit. It fed 4 adults and 1 child for around $14.00.

SnS, Reverse sear, Cold grate method. Complete with chimichurri and a drizzle of gorgonzola.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2386.jpeg
Views:	439
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	620211

Looks stupendous!!

Comment

That looks awesome.

Comment

I did a culotte for the first time a couple weeks back. Overall I liked it. Not sure I would pick it over somewhat similar cuts like tri tip but I would definitely eat it again.

Yours looks awesome!

Comment

I've become a fan of culotte! Sous Vide Que method works great with this. Found this technique at abcbarbecue.com for Tri-Tip and applied it to culotte. Fantastic!

Comment

Five stars!

Comment

That looks very good.

Comment

That looks awesome. I want to try that on the rotisserie

Comment

Just did one last night and finished leftovers a few minutes ago. Wife and I agree, it’s our favorite steak .... period !!! Your plate looks amazing, hits all things I love !!

Comment

I have eaten culotte several times, but never cooked it! I must do so soon!

Comment

Dude. That looks incredible. πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

Comment

Here is a video of how to butcher the top sirloin butt to get the cap for picanha. I have been thinking about getting one this month just for the picanha.

Comment

Picanha is one of those cuts that I still remember the first time I had it. Brazil December 24, 1993. Thanks for the reminder!

Comment

Picanha is always a winner. Great plate you put together, delicious!

Comment

Would this be a cousin to a London Broil?

Comment

• troymeister
                                troymeister commented
                                Editing a comment
                                I think the London Broil is part of the round whereas the Picanha is part of the sirloin. But don't quote me

• wrgilb
                                wrgilb commented
                                Editing a comment
                                The London Broil was a 2-1/2 to 4 inch thick first cut off of the top round. At least that what we called it back in the late 60's, when I was a meat cutter.

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here