Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Latest BBQ Brisket Cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Latest BBQ Brisket Cook

Thought I'd share some photos of the latest BBQ Brisket cook.
    1. This one is just as it came out of the smoker
    2. This one is the first cut to separate the point from the flat
    3. This one is slicing into it and watching it practically fall apart
    Some specifics about the cook:
    • Salted and rubbed 3 hours before putting it into the smoker.
    • Cooked with mesquite pellets and apple chunks for 18 hours at 225℉ to an internal temperature of 196℉
    • Wrapped tightly in foil and held at 170℉ for 3 hours.
    • Cut and enjoyed

That looks great mike! I'm sure it tasted even better.

Comment

Hey man, the pictures would NOT load. You are just going to have to send me some, with plenty of that black bark. I mean, if there is any of that stuff....just so I know you cooked it is all.

Comment

Mr. Mike.... I'm drooling Looks awesome. Happy eating!

Comment

Nice. Mesquite pellets and apple chunks sounds like a winning combo for a brisket. Looks as good as it could look!

Comment

By way of an update, 5 of us neatly completely destroyed that 14 pound beauty. I think I might have put up enough for 3-4 brisket tacos tomorrow. Suffice it to say it was a big hit and tasted even better than it looked. Have a great weekend guys!

Comment

Originally posted by mrmikemgm View Post
              By way of an update, 5 of us neatly completely destroyed that 14 pound beauty. I think I might have put up enough for 3-4 brisket tacos tomorrow. Suffice it to say it was a big hit and tasted even better than it looked. Have a great weekend guys!
              That's some serious feasting for 5 of you. As good as it looks I wish I was invited. Have a great weekend too Mike!

Comment

• mrmikemgm
                mrmikemgm commented
                Editing a comment
                I lied. We had brisket tacos for breakfast/brunch. There was enough for 4 of us to have 2 tacos and I've got maybe a pound or two left in the zippy bag. Seemed like we ate more than we evidently did in the first sitting. Maybe because I just felt like I'd eaten a whole cow...

I approve this barbecue.

Comment

• mrmikemgm
                mrmikemgm commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you kindly, sir. Our Casa M variant on your Big Bad Beef Rub made the bark something extra special.

• David Parrish
                David Parrish commented
                Editing a comment
                I can't take credit for the BBBR but I agree it's awesome stuff.=)

I likey.

Comment

Looks great, i've never had something cooked that long on a pellet smoker and would have assumed 18 hours of mesquite would be a ton, do they not impart that much smoke? I would assume not since you added apple chunks as well.

Comment

• mrmikemgm
                  mrmikemgm commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Pellets are generally 80% oak and 20% flavor-wood. I've noticed that they tend to impart milder amounts of smoke for similar weights of wood chunks on the BGE. The wood chunks sit next to the fire pit and smolder the whole time. Between the two, this brisket had really good smoke flavor, but I suspect after the first 4-6 hours, the pellets are just fueling combustion for heat not flavor. Haven't tried that scientifically, but that would be my assumption since by then the bark is pretty thick and crusty.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here