Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yet Another Christmas Prime Rib

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yet Another Christmas Prime Rib

I too tried the Prime Rib on the smoker this year. Following Meathead's recipe on the main page, it turned out great and the family loved it but I have some questions. First the pictures

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0175.Small.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	613685

On the grill. I didn't think to get it coming off the smoker

Name:	DSC_0176 small.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	613686

Finally done on the cutting board

Name:	DSC_0177 small.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	613687

Ready to eat. I need to start watching the food network to see how to present good food.

Now for my question. I smoked the meat to 115 as described and moved it to the grill. Cooked all 6 sides, 5 minutes a side with the grill top up. The problem is that I never got up to 135 degrees. In the end, I closed the cover and let it cook for 5 or 10 minutes to get the IT about 135. It was in the low 40s. Was that too cold to leave the top open? I wouldn't think so seeing how many of you are from the North Country where it gets really cold. Do I need to just cook it longer? Lock Stock and Barrel said he cooked his to 120. I, myself, don't need the meat seared. Maybe run it all the way?

Anyhow, anything you can point out would be great as I have been told to do it again next year. I would have figured that I could have gotten up to temperature with a half hour on the grill.

Ya just needed to cook it a bit longer. Do you remember what the temp was after searing? Just to illustrate, let's say it was 125*after the sear. That's a 10* rise. I would shoot for 125* next time and hope for the same rise - for a similar size hunk o' meat. Then sear and you should rise about 10* to 135*.

Comment

• SparkDog
      SparkDog commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the input RonB I think I was about 127 or so on a 6 lb roast

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here