Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prime rib sear in "cold" weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prime rib sear in "cold" weather

On a relative scale, it's not that cold here in Minneapolis for Christmas: mid-upper 20's today. However, that's still cold enough that putting the reverse sear finish on the prime rib is dicey.

I'm doing the cook on a pellet. I vaguely remember doing the sear on my gas grill next to the pellet last year and it taking forever. The surface of the top and sides that aren't on the flame got cold which probably contributed to the long duration sear.

I see Meathead say that searing under the oven broiler is a fine alternative. I've got one of those new-fangled ovens that requires the door to be closed for the broiler to run. I'm concerned about that cooking the meat more than I want.

Anyone have any suggestions or thoughts on putting the reverse sear on a rib roast in cold weather?

I don't use the broiler in that situation. Jack the heat up in the oven as high as it will go on bake/roast, preferably with convection. After the roast has sat off the pellet cooker for 15 minutes or so, put it in for about 15 minutes. Should be nicely seared and not additionally overcooked.

Comment

• pcallies
      pcallies commented
      Editing a comment
      This worked. Thanks for the tip. One additional detail I would add is to ensure there is a pan of liquid beneath the roast to catch drippings. I ended up with a kitchen full of smoke before I caught the source. No big deal, but inconvenient.

Thanks again!

A sear at 500* - 550*, (max temp on most ovens), should sear it nicely.

Comment

• Da' Moose
      Da' Moose commented
      Editing a comment
      I live in the North as well, (Michigan) and do a ton of smoking in the cold. I'm planning on running my Char-Broil Infra-red commercial grill on full tilt to sear up the 16 pounder I'm doing for new years. I think I'll do it with the lid closed though 3 minutes per side this time and see how it turns out. I really have to start keeping a smoker diary though to fine tune the process.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here