Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Christmas Brisket Cook Time Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christmas Brisket Cook Time Question

Every Christmas it's my job to bring a brisket to my family's Christmas brunch. I've been running the same smoker for about 2-3 years in all kinds of weather so I have a pretty good feel for it. This year though there is a curve ball and I am trying to figure out how to adjust my cooking time.

Curve ball: my butcher was out of packers cut, but he had 2x 5lb prime flats (pre-trimming) so I went with those. I'm going to assume they'll cook a lot quicker. Looking at my brisket-cook notes I'm going to guess about 7 hours but would be interested to hear any other thoughts. Last 2 years cook time for 11 and 11.5 lbs (pre-trimming) came in right around 14.5 hours and 15 hours respectively. That broke down to about 1.3 hours per pound and then I used that to get to the 7 hour estimate for the flats.

Constants: 24" Camp Chef Smoke Vault, 3 full propane tanks. Mix of chips and chunks. Pizza bricks and a skillet to act as a heat sink (temp is dropping about 10 degrees overnight). Feeding 8 people. Brisket must be ready by 10am to get to brunch by 11am. I have a solid cooler to hold them in so finishing early (but not too early) is fine. Can't throw them in the smoker between 530PM and 9PM (church and dinner with the in-laws).

Currently planning to throw them in the smoker around 11PM. Is that too early or too late? I've never done just a flat before (let alone 2 at the same time) so I'd love to hear any sage advice The Pit can offer.

Prime flats for me were pretty much done at 195 internal, I know this since 203 took them over the edge to dryness beyond belief even though I injected and wrapped at the stall. Lesson learned.

What time are you serving? I see now....yeah, that would be a good time....can always crank up the heat late.

Comment

Try cooking at 300f.. No use being tired on Christmas day.. I cooked a 15lb brisket yesterday in 5 1/2 hours
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Ahumadora; December 24, 2018, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Appreciate the feedback guys. I'll make my decision and let you know how it turns out and provide my cook notes in case somebody else stumbles upon this post in the future. Since I have 2... I might try both approaches. But the 300F would be on a Weber with a slow and sear, the low and slow on the camp chef smoke locker overnight.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here