Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Knockout Veal Racks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knockout Veal Racks

I buy veal racks from my local butcher every now and then. They're so good, I decided to smoke them in my offset today. They turned out veal-ly veal-ly good (sorry folks, couldn't help myself there... )

The raw meat with rub applied

Click image for larger version  Name:	veal_raw.jpg Views:	1 Size:	938.4 KB ID:	609139

Anywho, the M.O. was real simple. Smoke it in one piece, i.e. don't separate it into three separate steaks first. The main reason is that it is easier to cook one thick than three thin, plus it turns out real juicy.

I had 1.2 kilos (2.7 lbs) to work with. I applied my new rub made with coffee, cocoa and chipotle (to name a few ingredients). The reason I picked this one is that I wanted a real flavor boost that took the gentle veal flavor to the next level. But use whatever favorite rub you prefer.

Getting the fire started

Click image for larger version  Name:	veal_firebox.jpg Views:	1 Size:	309.9 KB ID:	609135

How to cook
    So, apply the rub the night before. Let it rest in the fridge overnight. Then fire up my offset, using oak wood only. Smoke it for 1.5 hours until the internal temp was 58-60° C (136-140 °F). I let it rest on the kitchen counter for 10 minutes, then sliced and ate. I gotta say, this was heaven! Always fun when you surprise yourself, this meat was soo tasty!

The veal, about to go into the smoker

Click image for larger version  Name:	veal_smoker.jpg Views:	1 Size:	461.0 KB ID:	609136

Here's the finished result. Dang good!

Click image for larger version  Name:	veal_done1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	863.9 KB ID:	609137

Click image for larger version  Name:	veal_done2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1,024.0 KB ID:	609138

You might wonder: where are the sides? Well, I just ate one of those three bad boys and washed it down with a cold beer. Ain't nothing missing if you ask me

Beer can be a side, I suppose.

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Beer is three courses: grain provides the starch, sugar provides desert, and water provides the beverage. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks RonB for that scientific explanation. I’m gonna use that from now on :-)

Nice rack ..... and yours is too Henrik Been really liking veal lately myself, it's that distinctive flavor, kinda like lamb, it's a flavor profile all it's own. I also like the picture of that little rack sitting next to that giant RudeBoy, kind of an overkill??

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      I know, it looks funny, but Rude Boy is the fastest smoker I have. From the time I light a match until it holds 240 deg F is 15 minutes max. Can’t beat that. Plus I wanted a reason to fire it up :-)

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here