Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I freeze Pastrami.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I freeze Pastrami.

Shop bought salt beef is really expensive this time of the year for obvious reasons, well it is this part of the world being a popular Christmas dinner roast.
    I bought one anyway because there are plenty on the shelves at the moment and I wanted to try my hand at pastrami.
    The salt beef cut is topside or silverside the rear most top end of the animal behind the rump.
    Slathered a 4lbs piece with ballpark mustard and covered with a lot of black pepper.
    Smoked using charcoal and mesquite wood chips in the kettle for around 6 hours at 300F to an IT of 180 and into cambro (while the chuck finished cooking) then steamed to IT of 203F.
    I made the pastrami specially for thinly sliced pieces to put on sammies.
    Has been really good and will be smoking a lot more in the new year when the meat price drops drastically.
    Does pastrami freeze well or how long would it keep if vacuum sealed and stored in a fridge?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181210_192242.jpg
Views:	2377
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	608159

Vac seal it and freeze and it'll keep for months.

Comment

I hope so. I've got pounds of it in my freezer.

Comment

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        ✍👂

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Pounds? Like in half a ton? You must like your pastrami

It will last longer if you vac seal and freeze whole, but it will be much more user friendly if you slice, portion and then vac and freeze. Personally, I portion leftovers...

Comment

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        You answered what I wanted to know without me asking the question correctly. Cheers.

• N227GB
        N227GB commented
        Editing a comment
        I vacuum sealed my last chuckie cook in portion sizes using quart bags cut in half. They heat up quickly in simmering water.

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        N227GB I never seem to have left overs for longer than a day or two but plan on smoking a bunch of salt beef when the price comes down after X-mas.

Oh, hail yes; it'll be jus fine to freeze it...

Comment

Heck I'd even freeze old Mr. Bones if I thought it would preserve him

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Lol, I'd haveta reckon it's likely far too late fer that, Amigo!

However, remainin eternally optimistic bout th whole deal, I do continue to consume what some might consider 'embalmin fluid'...

• holehogg
          holehogg commented
          Editing a comment
          Agree all good things need to be preserved.

All leftovers should be portioned. Quicker to chill and reheat, and prevents multiple reheating and cooling of the same product (think soups and what not).

Comment

• holehogg
          holehogg commented
          Editing a comment
          Pastrami will be for cold meat sammies. But I hear you. Once defrosted will be consumed in a couple day's

• N227GB
          N227GB commented
          Editing a comment
          If it's for cold sandwiches, you could defrost the bag in a small container in the sink that has cold tapwater running in it.

The reheat method after freezing matters. I think sous vide is the best way to revive frozen portioned meats & veggies. Put into a vacuum saver bag a portion of pastrami with any veggies or whatever you want for a meal, then pop it in a sous vide a couple of degrees shy of what the cook temp was. Best way to reheat w/o recooking.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here