Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How aggressive to trim a prime rib (prime) and an idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How aggressive to trim a prime rib (prime) and an idea

Meathead proposes to both remove the bones and trim the external fat. I wondered how far we could take this and came upon this amazing video at chefsteps. Essentially ALL of the internal and external fat that is not "the good stuff streaking through the meat" is removed which requires deconstructing the prime rib down to the individual muscles, removing all the connective tissue and exterior fat and reconstructing (with a coating of transglutimate--- Activa RM) which is a kind of meat glue. Then sealing it all and waiting 24 hours. The result of what was a "prime" prime rib looks like this. I can only imagine it cooks faster and every bit is eaten... seem like the natural extension of the idea. Click image for larger version

Name:	reconstructed-roast-final-raw.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	607420

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities...structed-roast is the video

Comment

Looks like the way to go... better need to impress the in laws or have the Governor over...could be a tad bit of work but looks delicious!

Comment

Although the final product looks incredible. I don’t think I would be a fan of deconstructing an already beautiful piece of meat and "gluing" it back together.
        For me that is way too much work. And wasting some deliciousness.
        Just my opinion.

Comment

I think I may just try and cut the interior piece of fat between the splnalis and longissamus as well as the exterior fat. I think you can do that without removing the spinalis. But maybe that is too much work!

Comment

ALWAYS wanted to try this. I need to order the glue.

They got some nice Primers at wolly world.

Comment

I like fat. Cuts that are sliced (brisket, prime rib, tri-tip, etc) I trim pretty well, but nowhere near what the OP shows. I don’t have a problem having a whole bite that’s fat, but I can see this heavy trimming being successful with many of my family members. Might try it with the next Prime rib I do!

Comment

trimmed one per meatheads directions (the video in his prime rib page is very helpful). cooking it tonight.

Comment

I agree with Santamarina. I like the fat on a prime rib or a steak, especially with a hot reverse sear to crisp the outside. I trim a bit more aggressively for brisket or chuck. That roast at the top sure looks delicious though.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here