Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Texas Chili - Instant Pot method

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas Chili - Instant Pot method

This weekend was cold and rainy so felt like a perfect day to bust out the Instant Pot and try to jigger my Texas Chili recipe to cook in the Instant Pot. I have pretty much settled on my Texas Chili method after a few years of tweaking it. I hesitate to use "recipe" as I never use exact amounts but follow the same approach. This is the first time I have tried it in an Instant Pot vs. cooking in a dutch oven for hours. Here is what I used:

4 lbs chuck roast
    3 dried chile colorado
    2 dried guajillo chiles
    3 dried chile de arbol
    3 chipotle peppers and a TBS or two of the adobo sauce
    1 white onion diced
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    1 1/2 TBS toasted and ground cumin seed
    1/2 TBS oregano
    1 tsp cayenne pepper
    1/2 TBS smoked paprika
    1 qt chicken stock (1/2 homemade and 1/2 canned)

I seeded and toasted the dried chiles and then added to the simmering chicken stock along with the chipotle peppers and adobo sauce and let simmer and rehydrate for a few minutes.

Cut the chuck roast into three large steaklike slabs and seared each slab in the Instant Pot set to saute for a few minutes per side. This took 3 batches to fit it all in. After searing each slab, I then cut into roughly 1 inch cubes. This is a new approach I picked up from Serious Eats (Kenji) (i.e., sear in big slabs rather than the chunks and don't sear all sides). I then sauteed the onions in the pan for a few minutes, added the garlic, spices and oregano and cooked for another minute and then deglazed with the chicken stock/dried chile mixture and brought up to a simmer. Once that was done, I transferred the contents to a blender and blended away until it was mostly smooth. Added the beef to the Instant Pot and added back most of the blended stock/onion/chile mix until the beef was almost covered. Cooked on high pressure for 30 minutes, did a 10 minute natural pressure release. Once the pressure released, I simmered the chile and mixed in a few TBS of masa harina to tighten up the sauce. Very pleased with the results. Beef is super tender, flavor is good and spicy. Will likely keep tweaking a bit, maybe use a bit less liquid but I will continue using the Instant Pot

Pictures being added momentarily... apologize for the ugliness, as chili is not the most photogenic food!

Note: I also typically add a fresh hot pepper or two to my chile (usually a jalapeno or two and one habanero) but made a critical mistake at the supermarket and forgot to get some and also accidentally threw out some serranos I had in the fridge when i chucked the wrong bag in the garbage instead of the empty one... alas, it was too late when I was ready to cook

Click image for larger version  Name:	27BAFFFB-034B-4B47-9ED9-6BD43E367C52.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.95 MB ID:	601976Click image for larger version  Name:	46845B09-A5C3-4040-872D-D5597275FA91.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.12 MB ID:	601975

Very nice! Doesn't look like much liquid in that chili, but you've sure made me hungry!

Comment

Definitely going to try this. Us hayseeds out here in Nebraska always use beans in our chili, so I'm always trying recipes that don't. Thanks for sharing, it looks great.

Comment

Looks great from here. Nice job.
        Hey Westchester county. NY? If so I'm on the other side of the river.

Comment

• shify
          shify commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup! Greetings from across the Tappan Zee (it’ll always be the tappan zee to me)!

Nice work.

Comment

Good man, NO BEANS !!!!

Comment

• shify
            shify commented
            Editing a comment
            This born and bred Yankee can pretend to be a Texan with the best of them!

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            beans are served best by themselves!

??

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_78085.jpg
Views:	776
Size:	6.2 KB
ID:	602424

??

Comment

• JGo37
            JGo37 commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm with ya Troutman

Just did the same cook but used boneles, skinless thighs instead of beef chuck. Mrs Shify is one of those "can you make it with chicken or turkey?" And since I don’t like ground meat chili, I tried it with boneless thighs.

The answer to does it work is a resounding yes. I used about half as much liquid and didn’t sear the chicken first but recipe was the same. And the chicken only took 15 min to cook. Thighs shredded nicely. Beef is still preferred but now I know I can please the mrs with a chicken chili.

Click image for larger version  Name:	5053061A-1949-4F38-A939-40AE148AD7F0.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	3.29 MB ID:	605050Click image for larger version  Name:	768E1DE3-B6A9-4CA9-9CD7-EE8BC018E51F.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	2.76 MB ID:	605051
          Last edited by shify; December 9, 2018, 05:46 PM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            To me, chicken chili is an oxymoron, but plenty of folks love it. My family does as well, but I refuse to call it chili, reserving that name for beef only. I call it chili chicken stew.

Kathryn

Good on ya, "Tex."

Not only no beans but no tomato product, either, AND you hand cut the meat. One of the old rules for Texas chili is meat and seasonings (salt, pepper, chilies, oregano, cumin, etc.) but no vegetables except garlic. Onions have kind of crept in under the radar.

BTW, here's a song from years ago that pops up into my head from time to rime, including today on the way back from Dallas, where we attended one of our granddaughters' engagement party.

Last edited by gcdmd; December 10, 2018, 07:18 AM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the tune. Enjoyed listening to it.

Kathryn

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            I concur but don't mind a few 'maters popping into the pot. Dang, now I want to make some chili !!

Chili is like everything else we do in the cooking world. There's Texas brisket and everyone put's their own individual riff on it. And then it's wrap or no wrap, butcher paper or foil or no wrap at all. Chili is the same way. Here we have always put beans in out chili and have always used a tomato base. Peppers, onions, garlic.

There's some fine looking chili in this thread! I had white chicken chili the first time the other day and it was fantastic! It had black beans and corn in it. Wife hand her friends did a crock pot exchange a couple weeks back and that was one of the dishes.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            There's a large BBQ event at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo every year, a huge tradition down here. When I first moved down here it was the the Chili Cookoff because that's what was cooked/judged. It eventually morphed into general BBQ but you're right, the same sort of "that's how we do ours" carried over !!!

Finally got around to making this today.. WINNER!

Comment

Nice cook. Looks a lot like Kenji’s P-Cooker chili, only a bit more authentic. I approve. I’d eat that every day and twice on Sunday.

Comment

Bringing this back up to the top. shify , is there another name for the chile colorado peppers that you use? They look sort of like Chile Japones or Tien Tsin peppers.

Kathryn
              Last edited by fzxdoc; August 17, 2022, 05:47 AM.

Comment

• shify
                shify commented
                Editing a comment
                And funny timing bringing this back up - got home late from work last night with not much in the fridge but found a container of smoked chile in the freezer and defrosted/heated it for dinner last night. Turned out to be my last container, so a new batch is in order

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks, shify and pkadare for the clarification on what a colorado chile is. I figured it was of course some sort of red-colored chile from its name.

In the photo in the original post, they look pencil thin, red, and slender which is why I wondered if they were Japones of Tien Tsin peppers. They also look like the generic "dried red peppers" that I see in the Indian grocery. They don't look like Aji or Anaheims, to my eye at least.

Shify, I bet that chili colorado dinner was yummy.

K.

• pkadare
                pkadare commented
                Editing a comment
                fzxdoc - Kathryn the thin red peppers in the original post are the chile de arbols and not the Colorado peppers.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here