Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first time doing the Umai Dry Aging Bags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first time doing the Umai Dry Aging Bags

I decided to try using the Umai Dry Aging bags to make my own Dry Age Ribeye at home. I had to start with a whole Rib Eye boneless roast. I bought a Prime one at Costco for "only" $179. (It was almost twice that price at my fav meat shop.)

Big risk once again.

I recommending watching some of the videos just before doing it. It took me two tries (and two bags) before I got it right. Here are things I didn't get the first time.

1. Roll down the top of the bag when you are putting the meat in. That prevents juices from getting on the surface you will be sealing.
    2. Use butcher paper to make sure you have a clean surface to work on, and wash down the packer bag really good. You don't want to put any new microbes in there.
    3. They tell you to seal a corner, but they don't explain why. It's because the bag is too wide (just) to fit in the recommended FoodSaver vacuum sealer. So you seal a corner, then fold it down to let you fit the whole thing in the bag.
    4. The weird little fabric thingy is to give the air a path out for the vacuum to work. The bag itself doesn't get a good vacuum without it. (It's due to its unique construction. It's not like a regular vacuum seal bag.)
    5. Make sure to push the meat into one corner of the bag, that helps show where there is air left so you can push it out during the vacuum process.

Here is a pic of it in the fridge, sitting on top of a wire rack to promote airflow around it.

See you in 28 days!

(Added note in a comment below.)

Attached Files
    Last edited by wcpreston; December 3, 2018, 04:12 PM.

Looking forward to the follow up. How am I gonna sleep?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170514_204455.jpg
Views:	1702
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	601595Click image for larger version

Name:	20170514_163211.jpg
Views:	1697
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	601596 Sure you don't want to go for 35? ;-)

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170514_163556.jpg Views:	2 Size:	3.90 MB ID:	601594
      Last edited by EdF; December 3, 2018, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Mmmmm, can't wait to see the results.

Comment

I had a similar experience the first time I used the Umai bags, busted one open accidentally. Given they're $10/ea it kinda pissed me off. Needless to say I've been careful since. Unlike others, I have really limited my aging to no more than 21 days. I tried 30, 45 and 60. At 60 days, to me, the steak was almost like eating jerky, it had so little moisture left within the meat, we just didn't like it. 21 days is my sweet spot between well aged and still moist. In time I'm sure you will find yours. Good luck !!!

Example of 45 day dry cured ribeyes using an Umai bag

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow, look at those guys!

• Elton's BBQ
            Elton's BBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for sharing your experience!

Originally posted by JGo37 View Post
          Looking forward to the follow up. How am I gonna sleep?
          I’ve also ordered a chubby g2 That has a 4 to 6 week lead time. I might not be able to sleep for a while

Comment

Lookin' forward to the results.

Comment

BTW I did not buy the kit that UMAI sells. I bought the two pieces I needed for much less:

FM2000 Foodsaver (same as in the UMAI kit) for $88: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D5TMBE0
              Steak bags directly from UMAI $22: https://umaidry.com/collections/stea...beye-striploin

That is $68 cheaper than the kit UMAI sells: https://umaidry.com/collections/all/...arter-kit-110v
              All I didn't get was the short-loin bags that I don't want anyway.

Comment

• kenrobin
                kenrobin commented
                Editing a comment
                Great tip.... thanks!

I absolutely LOVED my last strip loin at 35 days. Got another going now. A SRF strip loin this time. Troutman and I are posting in another thread as well! Currently at 17 days now, moving along perfectly at this point.

My last one was DELISH!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3035.JPG
Views:	1662
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	601678

Comment

Very interesting to see the difference between 35 and 45 days aging!

Comment

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It is. I'm going to try 45 at some point, though I'm getting some resistance from the spousal unit when I did 38 day.

I went 42 days for my last rib eye roast. I thought the steaks were fabulous, but my wife felt they were too dry. May try a bit shorter wait next time out.

Comment

What a fine hunk of meat! From reading so far, folks have hit all around 28 days, but no one hit it right on. I say do your 28 days and let us know what you think. BTW, 28 days seems to hit right around the new year. Maybe that is your plan!

Comment

I have been happy with 28 days. I have always done bare in the beer fridge on a wire rack over a cookie sheet drip pan. It makes a strip loin turn out mighty good. Good luck with yours. Looks like a winner to me.

Comment

Thanks for the write up. I'll be making my first attempt near the end of the month!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here