Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Steak Would You Choose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I realize this is an old thread...but feel the need to respond to all the comments about wagyu being enjoyed in small quantities. SRF is American wagyu, meaning it’s an unknown percentage (probably small) of wagyu crossed with angus. It does not compare to A5 Japanese wagyu. The price is also a fraction of Japanese A5 wagyu. SRF steaks are outstanding. I buy them occasionally from the grocery store. You can cook up a steak dinner better than most high end steak houses for about the cost of going to a low end steak house. I personally prefer buying a nice thick SRF ribeye or strip steak over going out to a mediocre restaurant, and the price is pretty comparable.

Comment

My wholesale butcher recommended this steak while I was buying 2 Kobe briskets Friday. They had some strange name on it but I managed to figure out what cut it is. "Flat iron steak" Salted then fried in a hot skillet and pulled it rare. DAMM it was good. Super tender with a heavy beef flavor which I love. My new favorite steak.
      Attached Files

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ve had a flat iron exactly once at a steak house, and loved it. I’ve never seen it for sale anywhere yet though.

• Donw
        Donw commented
        Editing a comment
        I just learned this the other night too when we prepared one for dinner for the first time. It was delicious. I guess I miss things like this because I never order steak when we eat out.

• lemayp
        lemayp commented
        Editing a comment
        Flat iron lends itself to sous vide really well also. Quick sear and you're done. The only steak I cook that way regularly.

prime dry aged

Comment

Wagyu Strip was 1.5 inches thick. Are you saying I should have gone hotter?

Comment

No, but as you know the thickness of the steak can determine the best method of cooking. Thinner ones usually do best hot and fast but thicker ones using do best either front or reversed seared. Your technique sounds solid overall as long as the low and slow part wasn’t too low and slow. Did you dry brine the steaks before cooking? I find that dry brining really helps retain moisture in the meat.

Want a great steak tonight? You don't have to shell out last week's paycheck at an expensive steakhouse when you can learn how to grill a steak like a boss with our comprehensive guide. Here are six simple steps to help you achieve grilled steak nirvana!

Comment

I would def go for the dry aged ribeye. No bone and more flavor. Easy.

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
              Elton's BBQ commented
              Editing a comment
              I second that..

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here