Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mystery Meat for Thanksgiving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mystery Meat for Thanksgiving

The Boss decreed we weren't having Turkey on Thanksgiving this year. I wisely said, "Ok". When I asked what we were having I was told just to wait and see what she brings home on Wednesday. I again wisely said, "Ok" because 32 years of marriage has taught me that this is the proper response to most of the statements made by the Boss.

I was lucky and the Mystery Meat I was provided was...Beef Tenderloin. I definitely scored with a tasty and easy to prepare piece of meat. Just another example of why "Ok" continues to be the proper response.

After a quick trussing and a night of dry brining, the tenderloin was ready for the smoker.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Beef Tenderloin - 2.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	597385

I sprayed the tenderloin with a 50/50 mix of apple juice and Honey Jack so I could stick on a healthy coat of rub. Then I fired up the smoker using a mix of mesquite and cherry pellets. I also put a pan of veggies and stock below the tenderloin, similar to what I traditionally do with a turkey thanks to Meathead.

Name:	Beef Tenderloin - 1.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	597386

Name:	Beef Tenderloin - 3.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	597388

After 2 hours at 225, I bumped up the temp to 275 for the last hour. I pulled it at 133. About every 30 minutes of the cook, I spritzed the tenderloin with the AJ/HJ mixture. We were very happy with the results.

Name:	Beef Tenderloin - 4.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	597389

Name:	Beef Tenderloin - 5.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	597390

The beef tenderloin was amazing. It was super tender (yes you could use a butter knife), the rub was a nice spicy/sweet contrast to the richness of the meat and it had great smoke flavor that wasn't overpowering. The 'Mystery Meat" was definitely more expensive than a Turkey, but it was a total home run for a special Thanksgiving meal.

Attached Files

OK!

Comment

Great job.

Comment

That looks fantastic, I love a tenderloin. I too am getting away from the turkey trot for Thanksgiving, so many better options. We had a tradition, for example, at our beach house where we'd have family and/or friends down and do a big seafood boil or bouillabaisse rather than traditional Thanksgiving. That one was always appreciated by all who participated. Again, great job and tradition buster !!

Comment

• T-bone
          T-bone commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks! We also had some 'turf' in the form of mussels steamed in a white wine sauce. It's hard to beat a good seafood boil. Great anytime of the year.

Originally posted by T-bone View Post
        I was lucky and the Mystery Meat I was provided was...Beef Tenderloin. I definitely scored with a tasty and easy to prepare piece of meat. Just another example of why "Ok" continues to be the proper response.
        That looks fantastic! FWIW, I REALLY wish SWMBO hadn't insisted on a "traditional Thanksgiving meal" (nothing grilled or smoked, indoor oven, plastic roasting bag, dry white meat (cooked to an IT of 197), rubber skin ... all of which went into the garbage after "dinner" ... sigh).

Fortunately, I've been tasked with Xmas dinner ... I'm thinking prime rib roast on the new pellet pooper ...

Comment

• T-bone
          T-bone commented
          Editing a comment
          Ouch. Good luck with Christmas dinner. We've done a number of rib roasts on our pellet pooper. It's always a hit. But the Boss, just today, said she liked the beef tenderloin over the rib roast. I'm a huge fan of rib eyes/rib roasts, but I can't argue with her. This made amazing filets with an amazing flavor. It's totally ruined me from getting filet minion in a restaurant.

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          My "Norman Rockwell" method somewhere on the site satisfies the traditional requirements without getting dried out. Maybe try it some time. Part of the trick is almost no smoke (optional) without drying it out. Works in the oven too.

Great lookin tenderloin, Brother!

What did ya use fer yer rub?

Comment

• T-bone
          T-bone commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank ya, Sir. I used my homemade rub. It's similar to Meathead's BBBR. I know it's crazy talk, but I preferred the bark of the rub over wrapping with bacon. The mesquite/cherry smoke made up for the smoke you get from bacon and though lean, it was super moist and didn't need the fat from the bacon. Don't worry I still believe bacon can make almost everything better, but it wasn't missed here.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Doesn't sound crazy, it sounds Crazy Delicious, Brother! T-bone

I love it when people are okay with not doing traditional turkey for Thanksgiving.

Comment

Very, very nice!

Comment

• T-bone
            T-bone commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks!

Turkey beef what’s the difference as long as the Boss is Happy

Comment

Looks delicious.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here