Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wagyu brisket advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wagyu brisket advice

Hello everyone. I received a wagyu brisket from Snake River Farms as a gift from a couple of my buddies. I've smoked many briskets over the years but never a wagyu. Any specific advice for a wagyu? I've been wet aging my briskets 30 days or more. Will the aging improve the wagyu or is it unnecessary? Also, I have a Hasty Bake and a Pit Barrel Cooker. I generally like the Hasty Bake for briskets because the brisket hangs pretty low in the pit barrel and I feel like I can control things a little better in the Hasty Bake. Any thoughts? Thanks!

The brisket is already wet aged from SRF for like 21 days I think so further wet age I don't think will matter much. I cooked a 13lb brisket from SRF a couple weeks ago. They do seem to cook faster as others here will also attest to. I would go with whatever cooker you are more comfortable with. Cook it like you have always cooked briskets and don't let the fact that it's Wagyu intimidate you stick to your style and what you know. It's still a piece of meat.

If your more familiar with your Hasty Bake I'd go that route. Seems every other thread with the PBC lately has been negative for one reason or another. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Comment

Nothing too special to cooking an American Wagyu brisket than a normal brisket. It will probably cook a bit quicker but I have had some of their briskets take quite a while to cook. Just cook it as you would do any other brisket but be ready for it to be done an hour or two quicker.

Comment

I would separate the point from the flat and cook it in the PBC. I love the flavor. Also, trim that fat off the brisket and render that fat down to make some tallow. That is the best Beef Love you will ever have!

Comment

ive done a wagyu from SRF. As others mentioned it cooks a little faster and is probe tender earlier...around 190 for me.

Comment

I know I say this a lot but with Prime and super prime Wagyu be careful when you get close to the end. It is easy to over cook them. 195 maybe 190 and things start getting soft. I have over cooked prime and it really ticked me off. All that anticipation and the brisket falls apart when you slice it. Anyway I just hate to have anyone else go through that. But when it is done right you are eating a piece of heaven!

Comment

Great advice, guys! Just cook it like normal. Simple and true. And, just to be clear, I do love the Pit Barrel Cooker. I'm just not real confident with it yet for briskets. I've made some awesome ribs and chicken, probably the best ribs I've ever smoked! But I haven't quite nailed the brisket. So, I think I'll stick to the Hasty Bake and experiment more with a regular brisket on the Pit Barrel. Thank you!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here