Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cryo pack beef going bad less than two days after being opened

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cryo pack beef going bad less than two days after being opened

I picked up two separate chuck roasts from Aldi late last week. Late Saturday afternoon I opened them up, dry brined them and wrapped them separately in plastic wrap. Placed them in a commercial stainless steam table pan and in the fridge they went. That evening while moving stuff around I noticed they were a nice bright red from the brine.

I had planned to put them in the PBCjr Sunday morning but things just got busy. I found I didn’t have any BBBF on hand, needed to cut up some coconut husks on the band saw in the shop, etc etc. So the cook got pushed back to this morning (Monday). I know that people here have dry brined
    chuckies for as much a five days so no problem right?

Well, this morning at 7 I took them out of the fridge and they looked awful. Grey with
    a ever so slight hue of green in one area. I’m not going to post a pic and ruin your lunch.

The sell by date on the packages was 5 days from now. I brought them home from the store with some other meats in a cooler I keep in the trunk of my car so I know they were safely handled as soon as I bought them.

So in less than 40 hours after being opened they turned. Is there something inherent in cryo packing that you need to cook no more than 24 hours after being opened? I’ve always brined meat from a cryo pack the day before the cook, never longer.

Another theory is that they were at an unsafe temperature at some point before hitting the cooler in the store. But then I’ve opened packs that had turned and you know right away something bad happened along the way, but that was no the case here.

What are your thoughts?

I'm going with something went wrong before you bought them and just needed a hit of O2 to get going.

Comment

• N227GB
      N227GB commented
      Editing a comment
      I now think it's a good idea for longer brine periods to source meat from a place that does the butchering on site.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here