Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

first brisket cook touble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

first brisket cook touble

so I started my 12 lb. choice brisket at 2am this morning it got up to 150 after about 3.5 hrs. I left it on smoker until 12pm. (so 10 hrs on smoker not wrapped) I have now triple wrapped in heavy duty foil and put in oven at 250 degrees. the point has dropped to 127 internal temp and the flat hasn't moved from 150.... is this at all normal Im hoping to have it ready no later than 6pm. should I turn the oven up? will it still be safe to eat once it does come up to temp?

any help is much appreciated im getting a lil frustrated,,,,atleast I have chicken wings to cook if I screw this up and it ends up in trash!!!

I just went and relocated my probe in the meat and now the temp. jumped up to 151, it feels like it sliding in pretty good to... any ideas on why the low temp from the previous location...I tried to get it in the center as close as I could

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      They can cool off pretty quickly when removed from the heat.

It should take 250-275 with no problem. I think the only concern would be that you might start braising it. If it were mine I'd open the foil a little to let it vent some. A friend did one a couple of weeks ago that went 18 hrs and was still stuck at 160. We wrapped it in pink paper and cranked it up to 300. It powered through the stall and finished up in about 3 hrs. For the same party I did one QVQ and everyone, including my friend, preferred that one.

Comment

Your post has me a bit confused, how long has it been in the stall? How long crutched?

Comment

• marshall
        marshall commented
        Editing a comment
        it stalled for about 6 hrs at 150, it has been crutched for 1 hr. now, but I repositioned my low reading probe and it jumped up to where it should be...

Ok i was readint it as it had syalled much longer. 6 hours is not that uncommon

Comment

I think your'e ok. Mine typically take at least an hour, if not a good 2, to come up to the 195-200 range after wrapping at 180, so if you wrapped at 150 & 127 you'll have a lot longer. Do you trust the accuracy of your thermometer probes?

Comment

about 3 hrs wrapped in oven its almost at 200! now time to check and hopefully let rest in cooler for a couple hours.
          thanks for help, ill post pics later!! it smells soooo good

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Skip the cooler, just drop your oven as low as it'll go. Many go to 170. Do that and open the door to cool it off to 170 or less, then it won't keep cooking. That will save you some hassle & mess.

• marshall
            marshall commented
            Editing a comment
            keeping it wrapped?

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, keep it wrapped.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here