Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoking a Thanksgiving brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Be carefully on Prime they are easy to over cook. If it is your first brisket 195 is a good time to take it off if you are not sure about probing. If you over cook it it will crumble when sliced.
    Last edited by jecucolo; November 17, 2018, 03:56 PM.

Comment

My last Costco prime brisket was just slightly over cooked at 198. It didn’t crumble but failed the bend test. I was cooking at 250. 14# packer, wrapped in butcher paper at 180, 22” kettle w/SnS. The higher the cook temp, the higher the probe tender temp.

Comment

If you can, try the Texas bbq juice recipe https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...barbecue-juice that stuff is excellent.

Comment

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          After reading this and commenting, I think I am going to have to pick up a brisket to do this week. Got me hungry.

• ddmcwhirter
          ddmcwhirter commented
          Editing a comment
          Is that the same as Meathead's Mop Sauce? I don't mop my briskets, but the mop sauce is the bomb on the brisket on the plate or on bread and, also, put some in when you seal up leftovers for freezing. It's similar (spot on!) to the thin flavorful spicy sauce favored by many Texas BBQ joints.

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          It’s not the mop sauce and I didn’t mop the brisket while it was cooking. I used it just like you described on the plate and frozen with the leftovers. Haven’t tried the mop sauce yet, it is on my list.

I trimmed it up and got some salt on it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181118_120019.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	594416Click image for larger version

Name:	20181118_120233.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	594415Click image for larger version

Name:	20181118_110330.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	594414

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Looking good!!!

• grantgallagher
          grantgallagher commented
          Editing a comment
          ddmcwhirter it USED to be their secret when the fries were good! they were done in beef tallow. now they use a mix of vegetable oils and they suck. I think they changed around 1990 when the saturated fat craziness was at its peak.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          I definitely felt wasteful tossing it in the compost.
          While it might be better utilized as rendered tallow, compostin it is not wastin...it will still be utilized, to nourish an sustain new things...

Looks great.

Ironic - I had purchased a Costco Prime Packer a month and a half ago in Austin. Smoked it 2 weeks ago. My wife and I had some but my brother in law loves my smoked brisket for Thanksgiving. So, I cut 3/4 of the brisket, the point side, and did a vacuum seal - into the freezer.
        We had an early Thanksgiving yesterday - nice brined turkey (it was quite moist) a bunch of delicious sides and my brisket. I reheated the sealed brisket in a pot of just under boiling water.
        I also made up a batch of barbecue-juice for dipping.
        There was 25 people at this dinner - the brisket won out over the turkey! Lots of left over bird, but no beefy brisket ;-)
        Click image for larger version  Name:	20181104_120634.jpg Views:	2 Size:	4.17 MB ID:	594441

Comment

• Gunderich_1
          Gunderich_1 commented
          Editing a comment
          I do a brisket now every Thanksgiving myself. It is much the same; bird left over and zero brisket. I volunteered to do a turkey instead for this year but was told by my family that the brisket would be required. I take that as high praise indeed.

I've gone back on forth on what I'm going to do. With a controller, it's easy enough to go low and slow overnight but I think the timing would be off if I did that. So I think I'll cook it whole, hot and fast, wrap at 165, pull it at probe tender, stick it in cambro until it's time to eat. Since it's already been dry brined I think I'll just hit it with coarse pepper before it goes on the kamado.

A couple of things I'm not sure about. Should I inject? Should I use a water pan? Should I start at 250 to get some smoke on it? Do I spritz? What temp do I settle at... 325?

Comment

• Ahumadora
          Ahumadora commented
          Editing a comment
          first things first. Drink a beer and relax. Just hit it the whole time @325f, but make sure the brisket is really cold when you drop it in the pit. I don't inject, but wrap pretty early, depending on the color. I spritz

• Ahumadora
          Ahumadora commented
          Editing a comment
          I use 40% pepper,60% salt, 10% garlic,10% onion for my rub right before entering the pit as I usually don't have time for a dry brine. I use stick burners and use a water pan unless it is raining.

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Drinking that beer now. I'll do 325 and throw it on cold. I'll put some water in the drip pan and spritz if I'm around to do it. I like onion and garlic powder so I'll mix that with the pepper.

On at 7:15 am.

Name:	20181122_072124.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	596088

Comment

• Ahumadora
          Ahumadora commented
          Editing a comment
          Lookin good. Relax and enjoy your vacation.

Doing my first brisket today too. Was given a 12#. Not sure if the grade but it looks nice. Dry brined overnight (~24 hours), trimmed, dubbed with BBBR, 225 indirect in the large BGE. Got 155 at 6.5 hours, wrapped, added beef broth and whosyersister sauce, put back on. In the mean time made wifey and I (and the furry smoking buddies) bacon, eggs, and homemade hashbrowns. Then i set my scale back 10 pounds and took a break.

Comment

Going to spritz it at the 2.5 hour mark and head to my sister's house for Spanish coffee. Then I'll come back and check on it in a couple hours.

Comment

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            It is going to be fantastic!!! Happy Thanksgiving.

It's gonna be great, brother!

I'm off to th Kids, fer some Family Time, then back to business...

Comment

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            Have great Tday!

On at 7:15 and 165 by 9:45. I didn't expect that. I guess it's time wrap it!

Name:	20181122_094434.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	596155

Comment

Well that was fast. Off by noon and into cambro. Hope it didn't go too long.

Comment

• Ahumadora
              Ahumadora commented
              Editing a comment
              Lifes to short to smoke at 225F. 325f all the way.

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree, Ahumadora , part of me thinks I should try one low n slow, but the other part if thinks why bother?

Well I thought it came out great. It was a very easy cook, other than the trimming it was as easy as a pork shoulder. Definitely a big step up from the chuck roasts I've been cooking often. Wont be my last that's for sure. I didn't get any good shots when it was done done or after I sliced it this time.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20181123_094213_564.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.02 MB ID:	597124Click image for larger version  Name:	20181122_095407.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.28 MB ID:	597125

Comment

I made Aaron Franklin's Espresso BBQ Sauce to serve on the side.

Comment

Apparently unbeknownst to me my girlfriend came through with a shot of the sliced brisket.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20181122_185325~2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.44 MB ID:	597758

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nice save, GF!

• Ahumadora
                  Ahumadora commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Great looking!! Very moist.

• Henrik
                  Henrik commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Looks great!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here