Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket smell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket smell

So I’ve probably trimmed somewhere around 20-25 full packer briskets in the last couple years. More than some people, probably way less than most of you.

Recently (approx 3 weeks ago) I purchased a Costco case of 5 full prime briskets with the intention of turning most of it into pastrami. They’ve been in my fridge since.

Today I started trimming them. I got through 3 no worries. When I opened the 4th one it had a pink spot on the fat cap. I remember from a previous post I made on here that this isn’t something to be worried about.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2FFF1ADA-40B8-4485-8021-6CD7CC918C44.jpeg
Views:	2197
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	587951

However once I started to trim it, I noticed a very faint Barn like smell. It doesn’t smell like I would attribute to rotting food, but that distinct smell you would have in a barn where horses and other livestock live. It’s not very strong either. I have to Be pretty close to the meat to smell it.

This is isn’t a smell I can ever remember and I figured I would check with the pros before I used the brisket.

What say you guys? Is this something I should have concern about?

That pink mark is, more than likely, inspection ink and it is food-grade, so you have nothing to worry about. (typically made from grape skins, in case you are curious.)

That funky smell can be attributed to the wet age time in the bag. Any time you age anything, you are going to get some funky smells. If the bag was not bloated, you are probably just fine. However, it should never smell sour or rancid. If this smell is anything like that, toss it.

Always remember Meathead 's saying, "when in doubt, throw it out!"

Comment

Yeah not sour, not rancid. The cryovac was in good shape, no holes or bloating.

Not worried about the pink, but thanks for the tidbit!

Im gonna use it.

Comment

• Ahumadora
        Ahumadora commented
        Editing a comment
        I am with Spinaker on that one. Trim the surface off the fat and any ugly bits, you should be fine.

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        And cure that guy to make pastrami!

There's always one in the bunch. You let 50 out to graze, and one always stays back to binge watch Animal Planet. We call 'em 'Barnies'.

You're fine as long as you don't smell death.

Comment

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        This is exactly the kind of smartass comment I make all the time in real life. Well played, sir! 😂

• JGo37
        JGo37 commented
        Editing a comment
        Steve R. people are startin' to get me here.... I'm the one in the bunch...

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here