Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bubba-vide tri-tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bubba-vide tri-tip

While looking up Sous-vide on Youtube I ran into this guy Michael McDearman of FitGriller.com. He was showing how to do sous-vide without the wands and called it bubba-vide. So I tried it tonight on a tri-tip.

(from a couple of recipes I found on web mixed together)
    Dry brined tri-tip over night.
    Brushed 2 Tbsp. soy sauce on meat, poured left over into bag
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    1/2 tsp. black pepper
    2 Tbsp. dried parsley

Placed all in a 2 gal bag. Inserted probe into tri-tip. Other probe was in the water.

Setup a SRF cooler, checked it for leaks.
    Filled it about 1/2 full with water to a temp of 138F max.
    At first started to check on everything every 10 minutes. After about an hour I noticed that the temp dropped only about 1/2 a degree every 10 minutes. I still tried to keep the temp above 135F for 4 hours. After about 2 hours, the tri-tip came up to the target temp of 130F. Played around with the water temp to try to keep the meat temp around 130F but it did reach 132F max.
    When it was time for din-din, rinsed off meat and patted dry. Brushed avocado oil over it an then took it to my Blaze grill for searing. I did a version of the cold grate sear (Adrenaline Barbecue Company method) since the grill has 4 zones. Finished at IT of 135F.

It was nice and juicy with just a little bit of chew. Even my wife liked it, maybe enough to get a real machine to do it. But in the mean time, this seems to work but with much watching over. Not a set and forget method but doable. Served it with a horseradish sauce that we ended up not really liking.

Here are some pics:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0060.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	586501

Name:	IMG_0061.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	586502

Here is the final searing on the Blaze grill:

Name:	IMG_0062.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	586503

Name:	IMG_0063.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	586504

Name:	IMG_0064.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	586505

And the eatin' part:

Name:	IMG_0067.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	586506

Name:	IMG_0068.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	586507

Name:	IMG_0069.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	586508

​
    Last edited by JimLinebarger; October 31, 2018, 09:19 PM.

I don't see pics, and I refreshed. 'Tip o' the Prongs' for the cold sear:

Name:	ABC Cold Sear.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	586469

Comment

• JimLinebarger
      JimLinebarger commented
      Editing a comment
      How about now? I was able to see them but I used the small image setting the first time.

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      JimLinebarger There they are! Nice looking cook. I maybe would have barked it up after pulling it from the pond - but the taste is the object and I can't get that from here...

You say it had a little chew. I may be wrong but It appears that it was cut with the grain and not against the grain. That may have something to do with it being a little chewy. Nice looking meal.

Comment

Seems like a whole lot of trouble trying to keep the water hot and at the right temperature. You also risk over or undershooting portions of the meat itself. Heck for $99 you can get an Anova, plug it in and forget about it. But hey, congrats on the Bubba method.

Comment

Looks tasty!

Next time try doing it with just a pot of water on the stove. You should be able to dial your stove top in pretty close just by adjusting stove temp.

Comment

• JimLinebarger
          JimLinebarger commented
          Editing a comment
          Didn't think about that. It would be easier even tho the way I did it really wasn't that difficult. It also wouldn't clutter up the kitchen counter. Was going fine until for some reason after 3 hours the cooler started a slow leak. Pot on the stove would fix those issues and would almost be a set and forget. I'll try that next time.

Looks great! Bet it tasted great too! That Bubba is pretty smart and creative!

Comment

• JimLinebarger
          JimLinebarger commented
          Editing a comment
          I wonder if Bubba is related to 'ol Sven and Ole..

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Sven and Ole - cousins from other mothers!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here