Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying Costco Sirloin Cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying Costco Sirloin Cap

Anybody have any thoughts? It comes pre-sliced, with fat cap on, for those who haven’t seen it. I have read the picanha thread, but this is a little different (it’s sliced not whole, and I don’t have a rotiss or swords, unfortunately ⚔️).

Thanks y’all!

Doesn't matter if its sliced or whole, Picanha or Sirloin Cap or rump cap are the same hunk of steer. Although the typical way to cook sliced pieces is gaucho style on long skewers (or swords as you put it), I don't see any reason why you can't cook it like any other steak, grill it or SVQ them individually. Super good cuts of meat, we like them as much as ribeyes at twice the price.

Comment

Thanks, amigo!
      How bad are the flare ups, if you leave the cap on?

Comment

Like any other steak the fat will flare up in your fire. Depending on how thick your steaks are, you might want to smoke them indirect first to an internal temp that is about 10 degrees below your desired finish temp, then reverse sear. There will be flare ups but flipping the steaks every 30 seconds to 1 minute will help you achieve the right amount of char. Be sure you use a high temp oil like grapeseed or avocado oil to keep the meat surface moist.

Comment

You can do picanha, Brazil and Latin American name for it, as long as it is between the 2nd and 3rd vein, not the first. Check out this guy Guga Foods and also Adrenaline Barbecue Compan on Youtube. The Guga guy has a couple of videos about it.

Comment

That's amazing.. every time I go to Costco I ask for that cut of meat and they never have it or know what it is...

Comment

• MonsterDuckMadness
              MonsterDuckMadness commented
              Editing a comment
              Have you used the cut before? How did it come out?

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here