Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ribeye Steaks - First Try

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ribeye Steaks - First Try

I Well, new ground broken today - Smoked a couple of Ribeye’s today. Only used Kosher Salt & Fresh Ground Black Pepper. Hickory Smoke on CampChef SG Woodwind; internal temp to 120°, Reverse-Sear 1-Min on each side, rest & slice. Opened a nice bottle of wine and enjoyed. I want them a little more Rare next time. Thoughts?

Click image for larger version

Name:	EF04D3B0-6A01-4362-90D5-38C395DFAC2D.jpeg
Views:	104
Size:	249.3 KB
ID:	584167Click image for larger version

Name:	4EE5325F-6A6C-4C2F-B413-A83F3773FAF5.jpeg
Views:	85
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	584168Click image for larger version

Name:	F202FD03-BF19-42F6-8593-DF4B19D67C83.jpeg
Views:	95
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	584169

That's great. You want them a little more rare next time! ;-)

Welcome!

Comment

I like mine with little more red but dang they look good enough to eat

Comment

Looks Delicious and Nutritious

Comment

Next time try searing starting at a lower temp. Also, I flip every 30 seconds to prevent too much grey meat on the sides.

What was your "low" temp? I shoot for ~ 225* for the low and blazing hot for the sear. The higher the low temp, the wider the grey band will be.

Comment

• WaikikiWayne
            WaikikiWayne commented
            Editing a comment
            I had them on 225 degrees. I just need to take them off sooner. Maybe @ 115° internal. This is why I’m on this site... trying to learn 😀

• Ahumadora
            Ahumadora commented
            Editing a comment
            For whole rib eyes I pull at 117F then cut them into fat slices for the grill.

Looks like good eating. Only thing I see is maybe start with thicker ribeyes.

Best regards,
          Jim

Comment

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree - I like 1.5" minimum.

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            That's what I thought too, Jim. Great advice. But not too shabby at all for a first try and it looks delicious.

Either take it off sooner or get your sear temp higher! My experience is that if the sear temp is low it takes too long to get the exterior color and internal temp creeps up.

Comment

I had trouble getting the perfect seat on a NY strip I made lest night on the Weber gasser. I’m convinced a griddle top will fix the problem

Comment

• Santamarina
              Santamarina commented
              Editing a comment
              Maybe cook in the smoker until ready to seat, then get a cast iron skillet piping hot and full of butter for the sear!

Looks like a right tasty experiment, brother!

I'd tuck into that plate full, with no reservations, whatsoever!!!

Nice Job!!!

Comment

• tbob4
              tbob4 commented
              Editing a comment
              Could not have said it any better!

Nice cook. Pulling at 120 should still be pretty rare, but the sear might have carried them a bit high. The sear so looks great though, so probably pulling a bit earlier is the right solution.

Comment

No reservations here what-so-ever. Great lookin’ meal, just tweak you technique and they’ll be singing your praises !!!

Comment

Is that a Choice grade? With Prime you might get a bit rarer with more rendering going on while doing exactly the same thing. When you're shooting for what you want, it can really vary a lot by purchase, by grade, by outside temp, etc.

Comment

They look great to me. Thanks for making me hungry.

Comment

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Welcome back, Darryl!

Thicker steaks and shorter sear. With thin steaks like that you don’t need to reverse sear. Just cooking them over high heat until seared will get them medium rare.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here