Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prime Rib - Medium Rare to Well Done

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prime Rib - Medium Rare to Well Done

Several family members want me to cook a prime standing rib roast. The head count is up to 8. Three of the 8 people prefer their beef cooked well done. The other 5 prefer medium/medium rare. I’m thinking to have the bones removed and then tied back on for easy removal after cooking.
    1. How big of a roast should be purchased?
    2. How do I get 3/8 of the roast cooked well done without cremating the rest?
    3. I’m not big on the rub on AR for prime rib. Does anyone have a different rub they like really well and are willing to share?
    Thanks for your help.

Randy

Honestly, I'd get myself a 5-bone rack, separate it (or have it separated) into two roasts (2 bones for the well done crowd and 3 for the normal folks) and cook separately. For seasoning, I dry brine overnight with Kosher salt then season just before cooking with onion powder, garlic powder, and dry basil (crushed to almost a powder between the fingers as I sprinkle it on). I typically don't add pepper ... but you could.

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      This. Do two roasts.

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup: two roasts.

• Santamarina
      Santamarina commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 for doing two roasts!

...or just microwave the well done servings..it’s not like they can taste the difference 😂

I like MBMorgan 's advice; Or you can do something that I do for the same issues you have. I have VERY rare eaters to those who prefer well done. I smoke the roast to very rare. I then slice and serve the rare. I grill the rest. For medium rare, it is just a 30 second per side grill, for well done it is a couple of minutes per side. I slice thick. I would go at least 1/2 pound per person. Buy "prime" prime rib. A lesser grade does not hold up to this method well because the grilling can make the meat tough.

For another rub option you can do salt and pepper with a liberal rubbing of garlic/onion paste. I like serving with a board sauce which includes a bit of jalapeño. I make the board sauce in advance, drain a bit of it, stir in a bit of Worcestershire sauce and a dab of horseradish. I brush it on the slices that I am grilling.

Comment

Two well doners would be easy- they both get an end piece with a quick sear on the inside if necessary. Three has me thinkin' that the 3rd well doner would get a slice seared on both sides 'till done.

Comment

• shify
        shify commented
        Editing a comment
        Exactly what I was thinking. The end pieces will be well-done (and otherwise some of my most favorite pieces of a prime rib despite the well-doneness!) and then just put another back on the grill for a few minutes. It shouldn't take more than 2 minutes or so to get that piece well done. Slice one end
        Slice from the same end and put 2nd slice back on grill
        Carve rest
        Flip remaining piece and serve

That's what I had to do for my mom. Cooked the whole thing to medium rare/medium. Took it off and cut her off a slice and threw the slice back on until it was ruined. She was happy and I was mystified.

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        It's not really a mystery. Both my parents were raised on farms in the (19) 20's and 30's, and they ate everything well done, and were afraid of anything under cooked. All their meat was raised on the farm with no inspection. Us kids were raised the same way. I only started eating beef less than well done in my 20's. I now prefer beef medium, but can go slightly less.

I have a pellet smoker, a sear box (about 850 degrees), a weber genesis (silver) and an oven. What would be your preferred way to cook the roasts?

Comment

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        I would definitely go with the pellet smoker. Cooking temp recommendations will be all over the board from members here. They are all valid. I like a 250 cooking temp and I probe it for temp. Unlike other roasts, you will want to pull a couple of degrees below your desired high temp. Let is rest in a cambro for a much shorter time than other roasts. Keep the probe in.

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        I'd go with low and slow indirect to about 10 degrees below your target (say 125F for med-rare). Catch the juices in a drip pan anything except the sear box, keeping the temp down around 225F. Meanwhile, fire up that sear box to maybe 500-600F, and get the kind of finish you want on the roast. Only a couple-three minutes a surface. I like less smoke for this cut during the initial indirect cook.

Pellet smoker ... 250ish ... gets my vote (it's going to be great no matter which you choose).
      Last edited by MBMorgan; October 23, 2018, 11:27 AM.

Comment

I’ve had my best results cooking very low. My best rib roast was cooked at 200 on my kettle with SnS to 130 IT. I had much less overcooked meat with the lower temps. I strongly recommend cooking the roast without the bones, it’ll cook much more evenly.

Comment

As per everyone else. Pellet smoker low and slow until 10 deg below medium rare (say 115-120) and then sear to finish. In this case the difference between 225-275 is fairly negligible so go with whatever works best for you. Just don’t oversmoke. A kiss of smoke on a prime rib is awesome. Don’t need to overdo it.

Comment

I follow Meathead's method which is pretty much what everyone is suggesting. He too recommends removing the bones.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0685.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	582785
              This, and the reply from Rod reminded me of a sign I have. LOL

Regardless, there's a bunch of good information here on how to tackle those eaters... You got this.

Comment

Cast iron pan on the stove top to cook your med. rare slices to well done.

Comment

I agree with comments to cook to med rare and then cut pieces for well done folks and cook /sear those longer. Here's a link to some processes to use. While the article is about using an oven, just modify for smoker or use oven for steps you can't do on your set up. For the rub I mix 1 TBS garlic powder, 1 TBS dried rosemary (I use fresh if I have access to it), 2 TBS course ground black pepper, 2 TBS salt. Brush some beef broth/bouillon on roast, apply rub and let rib sit overnight with rub.

Comment

This is what I do every Christmas. One roast, cooked to med-rare, first serve end slices for those that insist on well done, sear if needed, then slice and sear individual slices as needed. A bit of a pain but I certainly wouldn't buy two roasts and totally ruin a whole roast cooked well done. As for the rub, salt and pepper is my rub of choice. Also not big on smoke on a prime rib, meaning no wood. just charcoal.
                    Last edited by Missin44; October 27, 2018, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Make hamburgers for the people asking for well done. For they do not deserve premium quality steak

Comment

• EdF
                        EdF commented
                        Editing a comment
                        True, but I guess we must at least try to be kind! Good to have you back, Man!

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here