Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Okay, here it is, Instant Pot beef short ribs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, here it is, Instant Pot beef short ribs.

This was pretty simple. Just about every hearty stew uses the same stuff.

I used a couple carrots, a couple celeries, five garlics, three shallots, a large onion, some beef broth, some red wine, some salt and pepper, and of course some beef short ribs, six pieces totaling about 3.7 pounds. Oh, and some balsamic vinegar, and at the last second I decided to add about 8oz of sliced button mushrooms (not pictured).

Click image for larger version

Name:	04B2B9DF-2B40-4AB6-9453-5CE5093FFDC9.jpeg
Views:	377
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	582246

Name:	0909B437-82D0-4CC2-B67D-38ED9531CE7E.jpeg
Views:	351
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	582247

Name:	48BB6CD7-B4BF-41CB-B62B-33B6308548C9.jpeg
Views:	385
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	582248

Name:	C792B773-A5FB-47F2-99E1-0E43A01F53B5.jpeg
Views:	387
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	582249

Looks excellent great fall comfort food. I always add taters too.

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      I would have served it over puréed potatoes, but I didn’t want to buy them, I’m trying to use stuff I already have. I was going to use rice, but Mrs requested the noodles. I strained out all the vegetables to make the sauce.

Name:	8625EC02-2790-457A-BFBA-A22BDD93250C.jpeg
Views:	351
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	582254

Then everything into the pot for 45 minutes. There were many warnings on the internet to use slow release at the end. I paid attention! Total time in the pot, 1:15... 15 minute warmup, 45 minutes under pressure, 15 minute depressure.

I removed the meat, strained the broth, and reduced it. Served with noodles, and sugar snap peas sautéed with minced garlic.

Name:	80061B19-4063-4756-A02E-0113AAC1B048.jpeg
Views:	318
Size:	216.2 KB
ID:	582255

Name:	3B242BD6-821F-4744-888C-66326270B554.jpeg
Views:	345
Size:	206.7 KB
ID:	582256

Comment

That does look great.

Comment

This is truly, truly outstanding! You can see how easy it was: chop stuff up and put it in the pot with other stuff. And, no all day crock pot. The kitchen still smelled great.

As as far as following a recipe, there are probably hundreds of them. I read a dozen that were all 4 or 5 star, shrugged my shoulders and looked at what I had that fit everything I read. I put a little tomato paste in there, and a dash of Worcestershire sauce, when I was balancing the flavors in the sauce.

That’s it. Fear not the Instant Pot!

Comment

LOVE my Instat Pot. Used it twice just this weekend. Today, my beef stew. Dang good tool to have around. Funny, my stew has tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce. Beef stew in an hour, can't beat it.

Comment

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah! It was umami, but I wanted it a little more complicated. I used a heaping tablespoon of tomato paste and a few dashes of Worcestershire, and it was really nice.

• lonnie mac
            lonnie mac commented
            Editing a comment
            Heres a hint for anyone making a good gravy, stew, braise, add a hint of tomato paste Worcestershire sauce, and a dash of aged Balsamic. Dang makes it all wonderful.

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            Hehe, see the balsamic in the first photo, to the left of the small wine bottles!

Many Thanks fer this exhaustive, detailed follow-up to yer initial post, Mosca !!!
          I very much enjoyed, an benefited from yer experience, here, Brother!

Comment

This looks fantastic! Looks like a dang good recipe for some Instant Pot Oxtails too.

Comment

Nice choice on the sugar snap peas on the side. I love them but always forget about incorporating them into a menu. Been thinking about getting one of those Insta Pots. Might have to make the leap.

Comment

Great thread Mosca .Wonderful beef ribs too!

Comment

The Instant Pot certainly has a spot in my (outdoor) kitchen.

Name:	20181011_202700~2.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	582308

Comment

• Mosca
                    Mosca commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Shoot, that's nice than my indoor kitchen!

• Attjack
                    Attjack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Mine too.

For those who have not had beef ribs, and wonder what all the fuss is about: they are the texture of pot roast, and the flavor of ribeye cap. Definitely worth the effort.

Comment

• holehogg
                    holehogg commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Effort ?

• Mosca
                    Mosca commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Well, I guess not! It shouldn't be so easy to make something this good!

I made a short rib and red wine sauce for pasta recently in the IP with some garden favorites we ha grown and needed to use. It went to instant classic around here and I should have taken notes on the process. Nice looking cook Mosca

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here