Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chuck Roast after some feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chuck Roast after some feedback

Hey folks,

After my last post lamenting my chuck woes, I got some really good feedback. The two big ones being wrap it and stop being a ditz and putting my probe on a rack other than the one I'm smoking on. Took those two to heart and make this today.

Chuck roast, dry brined for 24 hours, hit with BBBR, put into the Smoke Vault, smoked for about 5 hours at ~250 till it hit 170 internal, wrapped up in 4 layers of tin foil, put back on, smoked to 200 for another hour or two, pulled and sliced. Glad I went up to 200, definitely better than the last one. Still progress to be made. As always, criticism welcome!

Click image for larger version

Name:	brine.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	582240Click image for larger version

Name:	rubbed.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	582242Click image for larger version

Name:	pre.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	582243Click image for larger version

Name:	post.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	582241

That looks great. Was your intention to slice it? If so, it looks like you did well. If you want to pull it, cook until probe tender.

Comment

• WhiskyBadger
      WhiskyBadger commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the kind words! Intent was to slice, yeah! Practicing for the day I take the plunge into brisket!

I’m so hungry after nibbling on fair food today. That looks delicious, I’d totally tear that up. 👍🏻

Comment

Criticism welcome? How can anyone criticize that? :-)

i usually go to probe tender and pull, but that looks fantastic.

Comment

• WhiskyBadger
        WhiskyBadger commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, will tried pulled soon but want to try a brisket soon so getting used to sliced beef!

As previously stated by Polarbear777 , I certainly cain't see one dang thing there to criticize....

Unless my ol peepers are finally goin dramatically South on me, all of a sudden, I only see juicy, delicious Chuckie, with great bark, nice smoke ring, an still lotsa juices goin on...

What was yer personal take on this chuckie, as well as them who et of it, I reckon I haveta ask???

Are ya in need of a mailin address, to send th castoffs?

Comment

• WhiskyBadger
        WhiskyBadger commented
        Editing a comment
        It was good. Bark was firm but chewable, smoke flavor and rub were intense but not overpowering, juices were adequate but not stellar. Want to work on getting those juices to that next level!

As far as the mailing address, I'm confused at the notion of leftover BBQ to send off

That’s a really nicely marbled chuckie! Well done, that looks great!

Comment

• WhiskyBadger
        WhiskyBadger commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the kind words!

That looks awesome!!!

We love chuck roast so I cook them often and we like sliced the best too. My go to seems to be smoke until the IT is 160, then add rub again and double wrap in foil with about 1/4 cup of broth. Cook until IT reachs 202-205.

Comment

• WhiskyBadger
        WhiskyBadger commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh that's an interesting part with the double rub! Will have to try that at some point

No criticism here .Looks great! Another way, sorta similar to yours; i smoke it at 225 till 160 internal, put in aluminum pan with beef broth, whosyersister and soy sauce, cover tightly with foil, back on the smoker till 205 internal. No slicing needed. Just get a fork and a napkin

Comment

• WhiskyBadger
        WhiskyBadger commented
        Editing a comment
        Ooooh that sounds stellar. Love the way whosyersister especially ups the beef flavor in pretty much anything!

I love sliced chuck better then pulled. That turned out nice. One thing I learned on the pit was to wrap the meat in plastic after it is salted for the first 24 hours than unwrap for the next 24 hours. I like it because the salt and moisture is absorbed without drying out the meat. I don’t know if there is any science to it but I think it makes a difference! Anyway your cook looks very good! Blaze on!

Comment

• WhiskyBadger
        WhiskyBadger commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh that's a good trick, I'll have to try that plastic wrap for the first 24 hours next time, thanks for the tip!

Looks great but I low and slow to internal 125 Reverse sear 135 slice

Comment

• Fire Art
        Fire Art commented
        Editing a comment
        WhiskyBadger I like it just fine Ewe got to cut your bites thin and don’t cook past medium rare or it gets real tough dry brineing is a must and 48 hrs isn’t to much but no less then 8 hrs

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        I think chuck would be super tough at 135 unless you make paper thin slices. As Meathead says in one of his articles about cooking various beef roasts, this is one cut that has a lot of tough connective tissue, and that is why we cook it to much higher temperatures - to break down that connective tissue. Sure, it is safe to eat at 135, but without a deli slicer, will be pretty tough...

• Fire Art
        Fire Art commented
        Editing a comment
        jfmorris I eat one cook this way about one a week. You do have to slice a little thinner then a rib eye. But I rather eat it this way then cook to 200ish any day of the week

You now have some of the best chili meat on planet Earth. My only suggestion ... try taking it to 210 IT for an hour or so, followed by a couple of hours in the faux Cambro to get it to the point where it can be pulled. Then use the finished product in place of ground beef in whatever dish you desire. Makes some GREAT Philly cheese steaks, BTW.

Comment

• WhiskyBadger
        WhiskyBadger commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh that sounds good! How do you go about getting it to hold at 210 for an hour out of curiosity?

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        Once it hits 210, I usually just transfer it to the oven set to around 210 or so. Then turn it down to 170 (or 150 if yours will go that low) for the next couple of hours.

That looks really good. Nice bark and smoke ring. It looks moist. As others have suggested - try taking it a bit north of 200 (207) and faux cambro for a couple of hours. It will shred apart nicely at that point, if that is what you are looking for.

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Probe tender regardless of temperature.

• WhiskyBadger
        WhiskyBadger commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice! I did FC it for 2 hours after cooking but was going for sliced, personally!

I sort of braise chuck roasts in their own juices. I just toss it in an aluminum pan, and now I do it at a higher heat right about 300f. I don't usually wrap but if I do I wrap the entire pan.

Name:	y4mOCLnDUSQTGc3xec_3gfLYdLiXpzvhi3YBto80vJBCCH7nUgrIDm2DYGO1DB6I0DIhbxRY3ykZX805NoAITaOYMiQiqPnkPw-L4UY8s8u4SgazRg2M6bUqIXdAITcHz6RzHJ7cQgrjDnQIB5khnMoWJ9xTGHt9iJ1B4vr2-BG6YzzNh2I0h6xn1AV3ZPANF8hT9svbOrucSKJ9uM-_bxyM_5f1H2YL3US6x8TV9vu0jB5vw3wQAOr_Zlniwm0
Views:	148
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	582464

Comment

• WhiskyBadger
        WhiskyBadger commented
        Editing a comment
        That looks heavenly! I'd bet wrapping the pan does similar things to prevent the evaporative cooling!

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, wrapping the pan does the same thing. I only do it if I'm trying to speed up the cook. Otherwise, I just let it fly. Yours looks delicious as well, and you got a better smoke ring.

Hey WhiskyBadger just wanted to thank you for this thread! Today I did my first chuckie, and used a bunch of the stuff you and the others suggested on the thread. After 9 hours, I had this and 3-2-1 ribs finished at the same time. Really enjoyed the sliced chuckie! Cheers! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181028_173952.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	236.3 KB
ID:	585092

Comment

• WhiskyBadger
        WhiskyBadger commented
        Editing a comment
        Niiiiice, that looks absolutely stellar!

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Great Lookin Chuckie, especial fer first time out!!!

Excellent Job, Amigo!

• AmosMoses01
        AmosMoses01 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks y'all, it is because of your tips it came out well. The Pit is awesome for learning!

Nothing but awestruck admiration from me. Gorgeous Chuckie!

Thanks and a Tip of the Tongs to jecucolo for the plastic tip. I've been wrapping in Butcher's paper and rinsing to get the paper off. I'm switching to plastic inside the paper. I thought the meat should breathe - I'll try it this way.

I'll let all y'all know how this comes out tomorrow night:

Name:	eye brine.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	585106

Name:	eye fridged.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	585107

Comment

• WhiskyBadger
        WhiskyBadger commented
        Editing a comment
        Looking forward to the results!!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here