Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reheated Brisket - As good as fresh???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reheated Brisket - As good as fresh???

This might be a bit blasphemous but the last two times I have had brisket I have almost enjoyed it better reheated or even cold. I smoked a brisket last Friday and today I cut a few slices, wrapped it in foil, and threw it in the oven for 15 minutes or so. Delicious and I think I enjoyed it more than I did right after it was cooked. A few weeks ago I went to Franklin BBQ and ate brisket cold out of the fridge in the hotel for a couple days and it was every bit as good as it was fresh.

Anyone else fall into this boat? Anyone else prefer (or almost prefer) reheated or cold brisket?

Nothin' wrong with leftovers. I do prefer mine heated. I like to drop it in a frying pan and put a little crisp on it.

Comment

It's actually been discussed quite a bit here and a lot of people, myself included, seem to find the leftovers more flavorful. Theories as to why run the gamut from being tired from an all day cook, being exposed to the aroma all day to the flavors having time to gel together for 24 hours or more.

I have no idea why it seems to work that way but I'm in the same camp as you. While I love it fresh off the grill it seems to have a much better flavor profile the next day. It'd be interesting if Meathead could chime in on the subject.
      Last edited by ribeyeguy; October 15, 2018, 05:44 PM.

Comment

• JoeSousa
        JoeSousa commented
        Editing a comment
        I was wondering if it had to do with being tired from the cook, smelling it all day, etc. That makes total sense to me.

Welp,
      I’m no seasoned expert, just a newbie when it comes to the art and science of fixing BBQ; however, I am proficient in the consumption department and while I probably would prefer those very first cuts carved off a properly fixed and warm Brisket, leftovers when frozen and reheated the right way, do make memorable meals too.

I enjoy leftovers, particularly when they are reheated sous-vide or gradually warmed back to it’s full glory. Coincidentally, today I had some leftover brisket which I fixed a couple of months ago and it was a very nice lunch. I had to reheat it in a microwave, but still managed to enjoy it.

I’m going to say that it’s most enjoyable for me when not only the food is top notch, but the company and setting where I can enjoy the meal is good too.

My lunch today served as an incentive for me to fix some more Brisket hopefully this coming weekend. It’s delicious, fun to fix and it’s convenient. We are just 2 at home and a packer will last us a long while. We will just have it plain, or fix sandwiches, tacos, crackers or keep talking about how good that brisket ended up being, or what technique should I try next time to give it more bark or more spice... this or that. There is a sense of accomplishment, in pulling off a good challenging cut of beef out of a smoker, that you control. That’s just awesome.

So, I would say that what you are mentioning is not blasphemous at all. It’s all good. There is some truth to what some famous chefs mention about letting some preparations sit for a day or 2 before digging in. I seem to recall hearing Julia Child on TV commenting about her Beef Bourguignon being even better the next day and I would agree with that. There is some marination or better integration of ingredients that transforms a dish hours after it’s deemed ready to eat.

Maybe there is some of that going on with a nice Brisket. Maybe it’s the company, maybe it’s both.

Cheers,

Ricardo
      Last edited by Ricardo; October 15, 2018, 06:37 PM.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        I read some maybe not so dumb article several months back that talked about health and diet of various countries. What they found in the studies they looked at was that it wasn't so much what people ate, but how they ate. As in company and setting making all the difference.

There is just something about a freshly sliced piece of brisket... But I agree with those who say it is just as good warmed up. The relatively strong flavor profile that you get with most brisket rubs holds up pretty well to sitting in the fridge for awhile. I even make sure to vacuum seal and freeze several slices for that day in the future when we need a quick weeknight dinner.

Comment

When you are tending the smoker the smoke scent gets in your clothes and hair etc. your nose gets tired/blind to it. When you eat leftovers you get that smell anew from the food,especially if sealed well for storage.

Thats my theory anyway. When anyone opens smoked frozen leftovers and reheats you can smell it anywhere in the house.

Comment

IMHO, nothing beats brisket right out of the Cambro. However, I love reheated brisket! Total Smoke Immersion (TSI) is to blame for BBQ not being appetizing after cooking all day. All that smoke can kill your appetite for BBQ. I always shower after cooking and before eating. That seems to help, a lot.

Comment

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            I like your idea. As noted above, we have all talked about the fact that after a long cook, we sometimes love the taste of the product but don't appreciate it fully. I like the shower and walk away idea.

• bardsleyque
            bardsleyque commented
            Editing a comment
            Too much beer?!

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            I take a very hot shower, and use a ton of Lava soap! LOL. It really does make a difference. tbob4

As Spinaker said, right out of the cambro is delicious. I would also say that left over brisket, re-heated gently is almost a good!
          With just my wife and I, I usually smoke up a small packer, a few racks of ribs and some chicken (I have a KBQ and like to keep it pretty full).
          We then have a great meal with a little of each. Then I prepare portions and vacuum seal. Into the freezer and we enjoy numerous great meals over the next few months.
          I like to bring a pot of water to a boil, turn it off and put the thawed vacuum bag right in. After 20 mins or so, everything comes out tasty!

Comment

BBQ like homemade chili is always better the next day.

Comment

I’m in the camp that prefers leftovers. I don’t know why. And it’s not noseblind from manning a smoker because I prefer it reheated even when I’m not the one smoking it.

Comment

I love the reward of the cook. That's a savoring experience that benefits from being worked on, and accomplished. Shower and change clothes if you have to - you've earned it. Blow your nose and get the smoke out of there...

Flavors continue to age as does the juicing column in thick meats - even sliced thinly - for the better or a different experience when reheated. That's a new and unique flavor. Ask an Italian grandmother.

I also like almost all foods I love cold - that as well is an entirely new flavor profile and worthy on its own. Cold cut sammies with beer mustard anyone?

It's good when it's done, it's good when it's reheated, it's good when it's sneaked out of the fridge @ 1 AM with a cold kosher dill.

When did you last turn down Q and think that was the right thing to do?
                Last edited by JGo37; November 2, 2018, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Fresh brisket is devine. Leftover brisket is the best "leftover" meat by far.

And NOTHING beats 48 hour chili! Day old brisket used in chili and chilled over night, then slowly reheated..the BEST chili ever!

Comment

Awhile ago there was a post that had a discussion about not being hungry after smoking food all day. Someone mentioned to take a shower after cooking and you get your appetite back.
                    Since then that is what I have been doing. Boy does it work. So in theory, it’s the same principle as leftovers. I now can eat and enjoy company and still love the brisket leftovers a few days later.
                    When I do have leftovers my 2 dogs love it also cause they get an extra treat with dinner. And when ya just want a snack then cheese crackers and brisket is the way ya go

Comment

I just made a brisket this past weekend. Invited a bunch of friends over but made the invite too late and everyone had all ready made plans. So it was myself the wife and my daughter all staring down a 13lb brisket and a big pan of mac and cheese. Well of course the ladies did not each much and I packed away as much as I could. I only sliced what we ate and left the rest whole.

The next day I sliced enough off for a a good sammy. Reheated in the microwave. Yes the microwave! Don't sell your nuke blaster short. They all have different power level settings. I set mine to one of the lowest settings and then cover the brisket pieces with a damp paper towel and nuke for 30 to 45 seconds at a time and let rest a minute or so in between cycles. Usually in 3 or 4 cycles it's nice and hot. You are just bringing it up to temp slowly without cooking it. Comes out great!

My son in law stopped over after work and gave him a couple pounds of left over and finally I was down to a chunk of about 2 pounds. Cubed it and made a awesome beef stew. Those brisket cubes gave that stew a awesome smoky flavor and were like melt in your mouth pieces of beef heaven in your mouth.

I do know nose blind is a real thing and I think it's more of a factor with a stick burner than any other kind of smoker just because you spend more time around it especially over a long cook like a brisket. I doubt the shower thing would work for me. I usually have a couple beers while tending the fire and the law of physics dictates the longer I tend the fire the more beers get consumed.
                      If I showered after a brisket cook I think it would be nighty nite for this pitmaster!!

Comment

i think it's a balancing act. i do believe you get better flavor out of the leftovers. however, right out of the cambro, you will never get that same texture again. in addition, the relief of knowing that you spend 12 hours making something and the first time you taste it knowing that it was worth it, even if it is a little muted.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here