Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grinding Hamburger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We had burgers this week. Chuck roast. Grinding meat is pure fun.

Half was used last week for weeknight chili on the PBC the other half was used two nights ago for burgers.

Once you start grinding your own meat it's hard to buy pre-ground. I like it for many reasons but the biggest is that the meat is loose. I hate tightly packed pre-ground meat. It makes for overly dense burgers and is a pain when trying to break it up for tacos, weeknight chili, or whatever.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1788.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	572274

Comment

I know this question may raise an eyebrow or two but here goes. I'm wondering if anyone has an idea what the fat content may be for a prime rib select roast. The reason for asking is each year around the holidays a local store has them on sale for under $5.00 a pound. It just seems to me that cut would make some of the most tasty burger around. How far off my rocker am I?

Comment

I usually grind 2 parts chuck, 1 part brisket flat, and one part sirloin flap. Sometimes I will grind in short rib meat as well. Gives a great combo of fat, flavor, and texture.

Comment

Grinding is a rewarding process. (to me anyway) And you can mix any meats you want. I really like to use a 50/50 sirloin to pork shoulder mix for my smash burgers. People around my house really seem to love it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here