Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef shoulder roast......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef shoulder roast......

I have been eyeing a beef shoulder roast at sams club for a while now. Thinking of getting one for Labor Day gathering this weekend. Wanted to do pulled beef with it.... has anybody had much luck with this cut for pulled beef?

Is it a true beef shoulder clod or a chuck roast? Either way the method is to cook it lonnnng time. Get it up to 200+ internal to render out the fat and break down the connective tissue because there is tons of that in that working muscle. Again plan on a long cook and a rest. It's really not too unlike a pork butt.

Comment

• Johneboy
      Johneboy commented
      Editing a comment
      I have done some smoked chuckles before that had taken forever to cook. I was figuring 2 hours a pound at 225-250 on my rt 680. Wrapping at 165 till probe tender around 205. The tag on the beef just says shoulder roast.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      I'd do just what you describe personally !! Have a good cook and holiday !!

Please update when done. My Whole Foods sells really nice looking shoulder from a sweet local ranch near Hearst Castle, but Cooks Illustrated ranks the shoulder last in the chuck cuts so I shied away.

Comment

• Johneboy
      Johneboy commented
      Editing a comment
      I have been interested in trying one. Was hoping it cooks similar to a pork butt. If they have one Friday at Sams I’m going to try it

• Johneboy
      Johneboy commented
      Editing a comment
      My sams did not have the shoulder roast this weekend. Had to settle for a prime brisket at Costco... not a bad alternative

I ALWAYS crutch chuck and shoulder roasts. The flavor in these cuts is amazing, but the individual muscles vary widely in tenderness. Some are downright chewy, but the wonderful flavor makes up for it. Cook it to 200-205 and it will be very good.

Comment

• Johneboy
      Johneboy commented
      Editing a comment
      So cooking lower then 225 is the way to go? How much time did yours average per pound

• Scout789
      Scout789 commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry that I wasn't clear. I cook TO 200-205 deg, not AT 200-205. I usually cook anywhere from 225-275 deg. It just depends on where the fire "settles in" if that makes any sense. I kind of let each fire I build find where it wants to be.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here