Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coulotte, flat iron and hanger oh my!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coulotte, flat iron and hanger oh my!

I’ve made a few different purchases from Crowd Cow over the last few months, picking up various cuts I enjoy as well as cuts I’ve never tried before. After a few posts by others, and Troutman mentioning to cook all three to compare, tonight, it was time to test three I’ve never had before, to my memory. All three cuts came from Novy Ranches, a grass-fed, grass-finished Purebred Angus. Coulotte, flat iron and hanger steak, as pictured below.

Click image for larger version  Name:	B38EB7B7-9904-40A4-A63D-9A329048211E.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.20 MB ID:	549600

I dry brined for about 8 hours then rubbed with Oak Ridge BBQ Carne Crosta just before I put them on the grill.

Click image for larger version  Name:	25DDEA64-3F23-4A10-8E53-A07C1FC60D58.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.93 MB ID:	549602

I planned on using the kettle for this cook but the weather rolled in and seemed a bit unpredictable with the rain off and on and wind picking up. So I went to the gasser for a two-zone cook, first at 225-250* until about 115* at which point I would crank up the heat for the sear.

Click image for larger version  Name:	CA397EFD-FD59-4893-A2D8-8F394924F936.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.53 MB ID:	549599

After a short rest off off the grill to get to searing temp, I placed all on and flipped every 30-45 seconds until my target temp of 130-134* was reached, at which point they came off and rested while my veggies charred just a bit.

Click image for larger version  Name:	CE7FBF91-96A7-41A1-99D3-6110DE66DDA9.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.30 MB ID:	549601

After the rest, I sliced against the grain with a slight bias cut on all three, served with rice and the charred red onion, zucchini, squash, red and green peppers. All was really good, especially the grilled veg!

Click image for larger version  Name:	7CE16F48-6C08-40E0-A2B5-3669EC04E02C.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.72 MB ID:	549603

As for each cut of meat, they were all really good, offering up different textures and flavor. The coulotte offered a tenderness that rivaled filet. I did overlook this cut just a tad, but it was still a great cut. The flat iron may have been my favorite although I would cook it differently next time. Perhaps with a chimichurri sauce. But the texture here was amazing, just the perfect chew with a rich, beefy flavor. The hanger may have had the most flavor as well as been the juiciest due to the marbling and I would compare this to a ribeye.

But overall, I would buy all three cuts again, perhaps find three different ways to prepare each, as they all offer some versatility. I do wish I could have done these on the kettle, but I do have a flat iron and coullote left in the freezer that I could cook up with one of my 45 day dry aged ribeyes on the kettle next time. Definitely a fun cook and way to try some different cuts of beef from a great source.
    Last edited by barelfly; August 15, 2018, 09:22 PM.

JFC. Not KFC. For damn sure. That is gorgeous.
    Thank you for making me really hungry again right after I just ate dinner. 💥

I need to add. Very nice write up and informative. Thanks
    Last edited by Steve B; August 16, 2018, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Well, You know it’s good! Thank you for sharing. It’s inspiring!

Comment

Thanx for the comparison - looks great.

Comment

Awesome! Awesome! and Awesome, oh yeah!

Comment

Nice cook and description. Looks delicious. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Three great cuts, and you cooked them beautifully! It’s fun trying cuts one rarely buys.

Comment

Thanks for the write up. I have wanted to try culotte for a while now. Never been a fan of flat iron though.

Comment

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Flat irons if over cooked can turn into shoe leather real fast. Try a fast, hot sear to medium rare, they can be delicious that way. Picanha (culotte) is my favorite however !!!

• JoeSousa
                  JoeSousa commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think I have cooked flat iron a half dozen times wanting to like it. Got it a nice medium rare but still didn't care for the flavor. I have tried a couple from Snake River, tried them from the grocery store, and even cut some out of a top blade roast myself.

I will probably try again at some point though. I really do want to like it.

Three gigantic thumbs up barelfly , that's a great trio of meat that makes up part of the pantheon of "cheap meats that make good eats". I've got a couple of CAB flat irons I'm going to do with a chimi sauce in the cue. Thanks for doing the comparison, not only fun but delicious !!!

Comment

Thank you much for the detailed explanation and great pics. Defineatly gives us options on under utilized cuts.

Comment

Another lesser known cut I really enjoy is the teres major or petite tender. It is nearly as tender as a tenderloin but has a much beefier flavor. I think if it as a cross between a tri-tip and a tenderloin almost. Here is a writeup I did on the teres major a couple months back: http://completecarnivore.com/what-is-the-teres-major/

Comment

• barelfly
                      barelfly commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks for the suggestion. I have seen this cut on crowd cow as well, and I think in the stores. Will give it a try soon!

Those look good. I personally am not a fan of grass finished beef. We have 100% angus and 100% longhorn that are pasture raised, but finished on breeder cubes and corn. You cant get the marbeling I desire for a good steak on grass alone. This is the reason the USDA does not grade grass fed, grass finished beef. Also they sometimes have a grassy/livery flavor.

Comment

• JoeSousa
                      JoeSousa commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Grass-fed varies so much from ranch to ranch. Some grass fed beef is amazing and other stuff tastes like swamp grass. Grain finished beef is much more consistent so you pretty much always know what you are going to get.

So if you do find some grass fed you like keep buying it from the same ranch. 90% of what I eat is grain finished but occasionally I like to mix it up with some grass fed.

• barelfly
                      barelfly commented
                      Editing a comment
                      This was really good beef, had a very clean taste, nothing that was picked up or aftertaste. From reading, I knew I may not like grass finished, but wanted to try it. But I’ll keep in mind other Ranches May taste different and stick with this Ranch if I buy more grass fed.

• texastweeter
                      texastweeter commented
                      Editing a comment
                      barelfly it looked good. what matters is YOUR preference. I just get a bit upset when i see grassfed grass finished steak trying to pass its self off as usda graded beef. no such thing.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here