Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket Flat on a Weber Kettle - Any Advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket Flat on a Weber Kettle - Any Advice?

Hi All!

I have a handful of friends coming over for a BBQ in a couple weeks and am planning on smoking a brisket. I just got back from a trip to Austin where i had THE best brisket iv ever tasted... Im inspired to try to make my own! Here is how i see it going down:

I ordered an 8lb Wagyu Brisket flat from Crowd Cow ( https://www.crowdcow.com/) which will arrive fully frozen in a few days. My plan will be to defrost it in the fridge for a day or 2 before i put it on the smoker. I did this with a 2.5lb bone in short rib plate that i got from CC a few months back and really liked the way it came out.

12 hours before i smoke it ill rub it down with Lain's BBQ brisket rub to let it dry brine. The night before my BBQ im going to inject the brisket with beef stock and give it a second layer of rub.

I plan to put brisket on the smoker around 1AM the night before the BBQ. Im using my 22inch weber kettle with a Slow 'N Sear which iv been using as a smoker for the last few years (its more work than the electric smoker i had previously but the flavor i get from it is FAR superior). My target temp will be 225-250.

Once the internal temp of the meat gets up around 150-160 and starts to stall im going to pull it off and wrap it. I have some unbleached butcher paper so ill probably do one layer of that and then a layer of heavy duty foil. Then back on the smoker until it hits ~200. This is the part im least confident it. I wont be able to see or feel the brisket to check for the jiggle im aiming for so ill have to rely on temp. i dont want to over due it and end up with brisket that just falls apart so i figure 200 it the highest i want to let it get before i pull it and throw it in a cooler to hang out until its time to eat.

So there is it.. apologies for the long winded write up. Really looking forward to this cook. Hoping to impress some friends so any tips, tricks, suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

~Dan

Do probe tender starting around 190, just go thru your wrap. When it feels like butter pull it it is done

Comment

Probe for tenderness. Once the probe gets past the paper and the foil, it should slide in like a knife in room temp butter - almost no resistance. Cambro-ing for a few hours will also help.

Why are you using both paper and foil to wrap? Either the paper or the foil would work with paper giving a slightly better bark. Personally, I don't wrap, but if I did, I'd use foil to save the juices. I do put a foil pan with a bit of water under the brisket to catch the juices as is cooks. I'd use the juice to dip each slice in as I carved for serving.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        With that Lexus quality beef, I'd just skip the wrap. And expect it to take less time than the usual brisket.

Add some salt, sugar, worchester, and MSG to the injection. I usually also add phosphates, but if new to them, skip on a run that involves waygu (practice on a choice). Inject the night before if possible. Wait till 165°ish, or until the bark is set to crutch. Also skip the foil and go just butcher paper. The fat in the waygu, and the injection will keep it moist. As said above go with probe tender, start checking around 190°. Rest in a preheated cooler (heat by pouring boiling water in in for about 45 minutes, then dump and line with old towels) for about 3-4 hours. Dont forget to slice across the grain!
      Last edited by texastweeter; August 15, 2018, 02:30 PM.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm not sure injecting is going to do much for wagyu (but I do not speak from experience ...). I'd want to go for the natural flavor as much as possible.

II haven't done a brisket on a kettle yet - just on my WSM - but I almost always use MHGs Big Bad Beef Rub (https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...eef-rub-recipe) and inject with low sodium beef broth. On my last brisket cook, I made the Texas BBQ Juice. Man, that stuff is so good it almost brought me to tears. The recipe is here: https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...barbecue-juice.

I usually just drink through the stall and take it off somewhere around 192 and cambro it. I haven't wrapped one yet, but I have always had all night and lots of beer. The results are pretty good.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Drinking through anything makes life sooo much better

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup, it surely do...

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep!!!

klflowers I dont always sauce my brisket, but when i do, it's always a Texas mop sauce.

Comment

• customtrim
        customtrim commented
        Editing a comment
        Is it ok to add rootbeer if it gets to thick. I dont drink

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        customtrim use low sodium beef stock then. The alcohol will cook out of it if that is what you are worried about. DONT USE ROOTBEER, it is WAY too sweet.

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll try that next cook. I vacuum sealed and froze what we didn't eat from the last packer; I think I ate the last bag for lunch the other day, so it may be time to do it again.

I don't always sauce, and I don't always drink beer. But when I do, I prefer Dos Equis !!! Stay thirsty my friends

Click image for larger version

Name:	XX_12oz_Lager_020711.jpg
Views:	874
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	848746
      Last edited by raywjohnson; May 19, 2020, 11:24 PM. Reason: Image Errors

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Does that make you the interesting man in the Pit? ;-)

• Gunderich_1
        Gunderich_1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Lol.....

How did it turn out? Pics?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here