Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wagyu Steak versus Old Dairy Cow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wagyu Steak versus Old Dairy Cow

This only confirms what I've thought for quite sometime, wagyu beef is certainly something everyone should try and experience, but the best bang for the buck can be found in some pretty interesting cuts of domestic beef, watch ....

If money is no object or it’s a super speedy occasion, I think his research shows that Wagyu is the way to go. But yes, they serve retired dairy cow at Faviken, one of the best restaurants in the world.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      But that's the whole point, money IS of concern to most of us and on a day-to-day basis what we normally eat; be it prime, choice or even old dairy cow, is more than good enough.

Yep, Magnus (the chef) felt ordinary cow didn’t taste much. But then he tried an old retired dairy cow, and the rest is history. I agree 100%. I haven’t visited Fäviken yet, but hopefully before the end of the year.

Comment

Saw this a while back. I must admit that 90% of the time i prefer prime ribeye over American Waygu. I like the beefieness, and the chew better.

Comment

Is retired dairy cow generally available in the US? I am intrigued.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          What's interesting is that they grass feed them toward the end of their lives which changes the taste of both the flesh and the fat. To be honest I prefer the flavor of corn fed, probably because that's is what I was raised on and known to my palette.

• PappyBBQ
          PappyBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm kind of with you Troutman for the same reason, though I must admit the grass fed is starting to grow on me (see what I did there?? HarHarHar).

• adamjs83
          adamjs83 commented
          Editing a comment
          I actual prefer grass fed lately. A bit tougher to execute the cook but the earthy flavor is worth it.

When we had our hobby farm we raised Holstein steers for butchering. Looked like someone threw a black and white blanket over a walking skeleton out in the pasture. Some darn good eating beef!

So much depends on the butcher and we had a good one. It was some good beef but I don’t think I’m ready to say it’s as good as the Wagyu I’ve been getting from SRF recently.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          And it's not but when you factor in the bang for the buck, what would you choose in a normal scenario?

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here