Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kobe (Wagyu) beef

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kobe (Wagyu) beef

Hi,
    Was part of a discussion yesterday about a trip I made to Japan last year and the topic of Kobe beef came up. First of all I would like to point out that I went with my wife and the 7 month old daughter so no super fancy restaurants for us! I did try Kobe beef 3-4 times in half decent places and really found it too rich, not my favourite. I have had a Wagyu steak since and still too rich for me.

Anyone else have a similar experience? I have watched BBQ cooking shows and I see people cooking with Wagyu brisket etc... Given my experience I feel I would have the same thoughts

By the way my wife loved the Kobe beef... Thinks I am weird!

Even if it tasted like chocolate ice cream or cherry pie from sour cherries made from scratch for what it cost I have no desire to ever try it

Comment

It's all fat, some has almost no meat (there's a link somewhere here to see what a guy did with a giant Wagyu ribeye, like five different ways, with pictures!). Imagine beef bacon...or MacDonald's beef fat extract flavored French fries. I'll speak for my wife: She likes separate striping of fat and meat...eat some fat, eat some meat, eat some mixed. I'm with her! LOL Oh wait! I got a rack of four wagyu beef ribs...about four or five pounds at about $40...Of course they were good!

Comment

I keep thinking that at the cost of the stuff, should probably just make homemade sausage. You get to make the fat ratio similar. :-)

maybe as as it grows in popularity and then becomes more common it will become somewhat reasonable.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          That’s what I’m sayin’. Wagyu hamburgers are all the rage but you can mix your own grind just as easily.

• Polarbear777
          Polarbear777 commented
          Editing a comment
          I don’t understand the waygu hamburger thing either.

I grind my own and fill in with brisket fat trimmings to get the % I want.

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't want to own a meat grinder. I also don't own a food processor. That said, I don't make a ton of burgers, either.

To be honest I like Wagyu beef when servedteppenyaki style with shrimp, rice and veggies. It’s delicious is small quantities followed by something pallet cleansing.

Comment

I just don't think it's right for smoking. Too much fat. However I have a friendly farmer close to me who has Wagyu-Angus cross cattle, they produce amazing brisket with a good mix of fat, flavour and meat. Try that.

Comment

To each his own. I do like Kobe/Wagyu beef, and I've smoked it several times. It lends itself very well to smoking because there's a lot of fat. The flavor is taken to the next level (given that you like Wagyu to begin with of course). I smoke it first, then sear in a pan. This cut of beef doesn't do well next to an open flame.

Comment

• Donw
              Donw commented
              Editing a comment
              +1.

• MeatMonster
              MeatMonster commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi Henrik, my comment is specific to Kobe, the premium wagyu, pureblood or wagu cross is great for the smoker, but Kobe for me leaves a pasty sensation even after low and slow.

If only I could afford the costs of a taste-off!! LOL

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              Cool. To each his own. I trief both real Japanese Kobe and Wagyu. I like both smoked first, but that’s just my preferences. You cook your steak the way _you_ prefer, that’s the only right way 😄

Henrik, I agree. That being said it is very rich and I wouldn't eat as large of a serving of wagyu as I would of even american wagyu or prime beef.

Comment

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              Yup, small portions is key :-)

My wife bought some American Wagyu grass raised ground beef. I found it to be exceptionally flavorful and I didn't even salt it! Just threw into a hot cast iron pan and let 'er rip. I've ground my own as well, but this was some powerfully good stuff!

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, I'm interested in trying the American Wagyu as an alternative to the wallet-breaker.

• BriggsBBQ
              BriggsBBQ commented
              Editing a comment
              I have tried ground Wagyu from Australia and it was amazing. 8 per lb. Also done some American Akaushi and it is really good too and does not kill the wallet.

Another option is Australian waygu. I bought 2 briskets from The Butcher Shoppe in Pensacola. Actually was cheaper than Snake River Farms gold briskets. Packed tightly and well, shipped 2 day delivery Fresh not Frozen!
            Click image for larger version

Name:	2B6281C7-8C34-42FD-9372-D996266E6330.jpeg
Views:	158
Size:	257.2 KB
ID:	549705
            There are definitely challenges cooking meat this marbled! My opinion is it is best cooked hot and fast so all the fat doesn’t render out. Window of doneness is very small and these will tighten up during hold period.

my next contest, I’m cooking an aged Walmart half flat.

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Those look pretty amazing CSQ !!

• CandySueQ
              CandySueQ commented
              Editing a comment
              Best thing about these briskets - they were trimmed of most external fat. This was a 12 pounder and I bet I only took 2-3 pounds off.

Never had it but I'd think I would like it.

One of my favorite things while eating prime rib is saving the little nugget sized piece of yummy fat for the end.

Sorta like a dessert.

Comment

My brother had a similar opinion of the A5 Wagyu. I did some research and the Black main Wagyu is way more fatty than Akauski the Red breed. I have found Wagyu in general has a unique taste I like but never had the super fatty black breed.

Comment

I got A5 Wagyu from Japan and i agree. Way too rich (fatty) in my opinion. Calling it "rich" is being kind. Let's face it, it is extremely fatty! I really can't eat that much. But, i think it is not intended to be eaten in normal steak sized portions to begin with, like you can with a prime rib-eye or strip steak. But, American or Australian Wagyu is crossbred usually with Angus to varying degrees. I find those quite tasty and certainly not as rich as the real deal and much more enjoyable/edible (in larger portions). I have also had full-blood Wagyu raised in the U.S. and it is also much less fatty than the real deal and also quite tasty.
                Last edited by Omega-Man; August 19, 2018, 06:59 AM.

Comment

• Omega-Man
                  Omega-Man commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I agree, it made me feel a bit queasy, too. I just couldn't eat too much.
                  Last edited by Omega-Man; August 16, 2018, 10:20 AM.

• sheejo
                  sheejo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Mmmmm.. interesting. I should try some local stuff, maybe less fatty for my taste and my wife will like it.

• Omega-Man
                  Omega-Man commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You will absolutely love American Wagyu! I made one for my brother who frequents fancy expensive steak houses and he said it was the best steak he ever had.

Comment

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yikes!

• PappyBBQ
                  PappyBBQ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm more YOUCH!

Too much fat? I guess you won’t be joining us for fried fatback sandwiches anytime soon.😋

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here