Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Afterburner using GrillGrates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Afterburner using GrillGrates?

After searching around a bit on the best way to sear a steak after sous vide, it seems like the "afterburner" method (sear directly over a charcoal starter chimney) is the best bet. Here's a YouTube video comparing some different searing methods:

And here's the AmazingRibs post on the afterburner searing method:

Here are four offbeat methods for cooking steaks that work amazingly well: The Afterburner Method where you cook on a hot charcoal chimney, the Vigneron Method where you cook with twigs, the Caveman Method where you cook right on hot coals, and the Stripsteak Method where you sous vide in butter then sear on a grill.

This got me thinking: I use a Slow 'N Sear with the custom-fit GrillGrate (flat side up) on my Weber to get a good sear. I wonder how a GrillGrate directly over a chimney would work?

Has anyone tried using a GrillGrate on a charcoal starter chimney? Does the chimney run too hot? Any thoughts or advice on doing this?

Thanks!
    David

First, welcome to The Pit. Second, I contacted GrillGrates some time ago, and they told me that the grates could take up to 1100* F. They should work for searing. However, I have also seen a photo of GGs that were ruined by too much heat, so monitor them closely....

Comment

I would not take them onto the after burner. I have warped them in my KJ Jr. Just use a wire grate and let it rip.

Comment

I wouldn't try it. Aluminum melts at 1220, so GrillGrates is giving themselves a little wiggle room, but as part of a grease fire on my Weber Genesis I had the propane line melt off the connector, and it melted part of the aluminum body of the grill. Meathead in his write up on the Afterburner Method said he measured the heat at 800, so, it would seem it would be ok. I still wouldn't do it.

Comment

I’ve done it, but you have to watch it closely. You have to figure out the # of charcoal briquettes you put in, plus the amount of airflow. My favorite method is the "no grate technique" which I’ve described in another thread called "I’m searching for the ultimate sear". You can see my journey.

Your technique will work, you just have to watch it.

Comment

I skip the grates and put my stuff on flat SS skewers. Flat so they just sit across the chimney and don’t roll off. Works great for an even sear with no banding.

Using forced forced air through a chimney you can easily exceed 1200F.

I wouldnt mess around with aluminum near those temps, and some stainless steel can rust after you get it above 1500F and screw up the properties. (I’ve done this to an SS hovergrill and coated grates aren’t happy at those temps either.

If if you want something flat to sear on at super high temps go with cast iron.
            Last edited by Polarbear777; August 15, 2018, 04:16 AM.

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              I do something similar. I place the prong ends on my rotisserie skewer and impale the steak on the prongs and hold it over the chimney. No fuss no mess, works really well.

Without further explanation: Nope! Wouldn’t do it!

Comment

Yes al melts at 1200 but what they don’t say is grill grates warp at a much lower temp. I know. Tried it on my Weber gasser and now 2 of my 4 grates are warped. I can still use em but just can’t lock them together anymore. Time for new ones. I’ll wait for the scratch and dent sale

Comment

Don't think I'd try it either. For temp reasons yes but if it is perfectly level where does all the grease go? Sounds like a grease fire waiting to happen. I love the AdrenalineBBQ technique and need fire directly on the meat!

Comment

Don't think I'd try it either. For temp reasons yes but if it isn't perfectly level where does all the grease go? Sounds like a grease fire waiting to happen. I love the AdrenalineBBQ technique and need fire directly on the meat!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here