Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The NYT discovers the reverse sear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The NYT discovers the reverse sear

I saw this article and thought, "Hey, I've seen that method!"

"Unusual approach". Very funny.

Comment

I cancelled my subscription to the NYT because the started charging extra for the cooking section. And, they are just discovering reverse sear. Money better spent here for The Pit.

Comment

Or, it's just getting to New York!

Comment

• adamjs83
          adamjs83 commented
          Editing a comment
          Ah hem.

• Bogy
          Bogy commented
          Editing a comment
          adamjs83 I didn't think Long Island was part of New York. That was my daughter's impression when she lived there.

• adamjs83
          adamjs83 commented
          Editing a comment
          Touché.

The NY Times has talked about reverse sear steak before. Mark Bittman had one of his recipes for a really thick ribeye using the reverse sear method a few years ago.

I think the "unusual method" mentioned in that restaurant review was the specific use of smoking in a smoker AND using smoked salt to season the meat.

Comment

I think the unusual method is the NYT covering a BBQ joint. Day late & a dollar short.
          Last edited by FireMan; August 11, 2018, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Yep. Click image for larger version

Name:	C8B32FB6-B436-4933-965A-985649D1F0AF.jpeg
Views:	127
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	547284

Comment

Not defending The NY Times, you’ll never catch me doing that, but I have to defend my city. I’ve been using this method in my backyard in NY for the last five years at least. Maybe the food elitists have just figured it out but don’t hate on the rest of us. Donw looking at you.
            Last edited by adamjs83; August 11, 2018, 07:39 PM.

Comment

• Bogy
              Bogy commented
              Editing a comment
              But I have so much experience giving New Yorkers a hard time! 2 sisters, a niece and nephew, and an ex brother in law (especially the ex brother in law). It's payback for what they say about people who live in Iowa.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here