Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HERE'S a steak aging tip worth stealing!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HERE'S a steak aging tip worth stealing!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R9A9uG-YrY
    Last edited by Karon Adams; August 7, 2018, 12:02 PM.

Cool. Butter is almost always better.

Comment

Cost is bugging me, and the video. Dry aging requires trimming, sealed aging may affect taste negatively. So how about porous aging that doesn't require a personal loan for butter?

I'm thinking of trying a salted cut in a handful of layers of terry cloth to see if there's a middle of the road.

Comment

Here's me, thinking a pound of butter could put a decent coat on the on the steak. You don't have moisture loss and you don't have a way for oxygen to enter and it's not aging in a bag. What *I* would do is put a pound or two in the sous vide to bring it to 56 degrees,

I would then, put the meat in a vacuum bag and pull out the air, making certain that the butter covers every surface, then put the bag in the freeze for a short while, take the bag , then each in about a month or so.then remove to the fridge to actually age.

The bag helps even distribution as well as holding it until it cools and hardens, and once that happens you can actually toss the bag.no loss but the same amount of time as an open aged. less waste (which isn't really waste, you use those cuts for sauces or stews)

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        True that - the pellicle is a great flavorant!

Not to mention, the butter is hardly wasted. you can use it to cook the steak but there is likely to be more than you need for that, it can be kept aside to make a sauce or for any other sauce you want to make for meat. and, if you are aging a large native cut, the amount of butter PER steak reduces greatly.

Comment

• JimLinebarger
        JimLinebarger commented
        Editing a comment
        Your butter/sous vide/bag method also seems to be less messy and easier to cover the meat. Can even do it in stages with freezer time between layers. And using the butter afterwards for hot cooking only is what I have been thinking about. Less butter used with your method I think.

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        Could you not reuse the butter for another aging or would it not be safe?

Here's another use for butter we have at the Iowa State Fair. And the butter is saved and used from year to year, for 10 years. So, after you use your butter for aging beef, you can carve it into a cow.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Ya gotta love livin in Th Breadbasket!!!

• MattTheGR8
        MattTheGR8 commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks like she's dry aging the whole cow! In fact, I don't think I'll ever again look at our butter cow without thinking of this.

The link doesn't work for me... I get sent to Twitter and it says page not found?

Comment

me either

Comment

Has anyone here in the pit tried this butter aged technique yet? I saw Harry Soo from Slap Yo Daddy just posted a video on youtube with his side by side comparison between cryovac, dry aged, and butter aged ribeyes.

Here is the link: https://youtu.be/yojZdWEDFoo

Looks interesting to me.......

Comment

I was just about to post Harry’s video too. I’m also intrigued by the butter method.

Comment

Take the butter out of a cow and put the cow in the butter.

Take an egg out of a chicken and make a chicken omelet.

Hmm :-)

Comment

• MattTheGR8
              MattTheGR8 commented
              Editing a comment
              Take the bacon out of a pig and make a bacon wrapped pork loin.

Fascinating! I wonder if the salt in the butter had anything to do with his result. Definetly worth considering, especially since you don’t need a machine to do it. You could maybe even accomplish it with a "mayo knife". 😎

Comment

Very interesting indeed, thanks for sharing Karon. Harry Soo's video showed the butter aged steaks didn't lose much moisture and didn't need much pellicle trimming. The butter could pay for itself just in the amount of meat around the perimeter that doesn't need to be trimmed at the end of the process.

On the other hand, since the butter coated meat didn't lose much moisture can it really be called "dry" aging? Even though Harry liked the butter one best, I'm still not convinced it will have the same concentrated flavor as traditionally dry aged meat.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                Potkettleblack commented
                Editing a comment
                Seems like it would produce something closer to wet aging.

something else I was just thinking of the other day was that the butter used in the aging process could then be used in the sous vide bag and the pan sauce as well as for other sauces for other steaks and beef dishes.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                Potkettleblack commented
                Editing a comment
                Sous viding in butter leads to delicious butter, but not better steak.

I would be concerned about bacterial contamination of the butter and potential rot.

That's a lot of butter to cover a primal cut...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here