Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think of these beef ribs??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those look bomb-diggity.

Comment

What I can tell you is that they look outstanding. If your family and friends are anything like mine, beef ribs will be your most requested cook from now on.

Comment

Thanks so much for the great responses. This was an extremely frustrating cook for me. Here are the particulars:

Rub - Kosher salt the night before then sriracha hot sauce and course pepper just before putting on the grill.
        Set Point - 225
        Ribs placed upper rack right side at about 6:30AM
        Two probes between the rib bones - I was careful to try and stay in the meat and not touch the bone or be in the fat.
        I expected the cook to take about 10 hours max. All I read was probe tender would be between 8 and 10 hours.
        This was the first time the Mak didn't seem to be creating much smoke. Then I started getting a small amount of smoke from the pellet hopper. I did notice some semi-burned pellets in the fire box so I suspect that my pellets are compromised. My expectation was that I would not have much smoke flavor.

I was planning on not wrapping them but at 10.5 hours they were not probe tender and the temperature on both probes would not get above 185. I turned up the heat to 250 and then to at 11 hours turned up to 285.

I wrapped at 11.15 hours and at 12.5 they were probe tender....but there was still a small bit of resistance. Just a little but the temp was still at 187.

But it was 7PM and the head chef in the house was getting restless. I rested them for about 30 minutes in the cooler.

THE RESULTS:

- The bark was too peppery for my wife. I thought it was a little on the strong side. It was firm and I sliced it off my wife's rib. I didn't premix the rub. Salt went on the night before and pepper just before the cook. Is that what caused it to be so peppery?

- The meat was nice and moist. Not fall off the bone or pot roasty. (Is that a term?)

- The smoke flavor was on the light side. How is it possible to have such a nice smoke ring and yet have the less than desirable smoke flavor? This was very different than my brisket and pork butt. Possibly the pellets?

In the end we were satisfied but not overjoyed.

Thanks for all the help.

Dave

Last edited by dmcneil; August 6, 2018, 08:25 AM.

Comment

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't have a pellet grill, so I can't comment on that. As for the "too peppery" taste, I would suggest cutting back on the amount of pepper next time. It's easy to get carried away when applying, trying to get that bark look before it's cooked. Also, you can substitute garlic powder for some of the pepper to help with forming the dark bark without adding to the spiciness.

• Donw
          Donw commented
          Editing a comment
          I would suggest 275 next time. Never have wrapped beef ribs.

• dmcneil
          dmcneil commented
          Editing a comment
          Donw My intent was to not wrap but in a moment of desperation I wrapped because the internal temp would not come up. I forgot to mention that my digital thermometer also read the same temp as the probe. It was just crazy.

Thanks Steve R. Trial and error that is for sure. Here is a picture before. You are probably right...just too much pepper.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	20180804_063636.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	180.5 KB
ID:	543840

Comment

If you don’t like them, send them to me. They look more than good enough to eat.
          Last edited by LA Pork Butt; August 6, 2018, 12:44 PM.

Comment

The chef of the house made an amazing dish from the left over ribs. Wine, mushrooms, home grown tomatoes and other goodies went into the sauce. We have used every scrap of our left overs to make amazing dinners. Since there are only two of us when I bought my smoker in May I was worried about the amount of food I would cook. No problem at all.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180807_191442.jpg Views:	1 Size:	552.5 KB ID:	545086
            Last edited by dmcneil; August 8, 2018, 08:08 AM.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Gorgeous plate, well done!

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Looks great!

As for the peppery rub, I have given up on S&P, BBBR or SPG for beef. I just don't like that much pepper. None of us in my family do. I used Black Ops rub on the brisket this past weekend and it was MUCH more to my taste. Loved it.

As for your cook, I agree with some above, you should have started at 250°-275°F from the beginning. I try to do beef at a higher temp, I think it needs it and can take it. There's no reason for the lower temp on beef. I also don't temp probe either pork or beef ribs, there just isn't enough distance from the bone in any of them. You need to be an absolute minimum of 1-1½" from bone in my experience, and I always prefer 2" away if I can get it. There just isn't room to do this with ribs of any kind, in my experience.

There is nothing wrong with wrapping. Get it into your heart, into your soul, burn it through your barriers and defenses! Especially with beef. I have wrapped a bit and I have gone unwrapped. Honestly, my guests have loved it EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. Regardless. So, why kill yourself spending extra time (an extra 2, 3, 4 hours???) trying to push through and get done for pride's sake - so you can say you didn't wrap it? Because wrapping is "cheating" or something? Nah... cook how you like it, how your guests like it, and the people you love like it.

Who cares what BBQ judges say, what "tradition" says, or whatever? This is about cooking to show love and caring, and spending the time sitting around and looking at each other while you awkwardly keep peeking under the lid or stare at your electronic thermometer isn't doing the job, right? Right. Obviously, you guys were waiting, waiting, waiting... let yourself go, let yourself experiment, give yourself a break. Do this because it's fun, because you enjoy it, and because the end product is amazing! "The Process" is truly only a part of it, most everyone else (besides us perfectionists and self-immolators) cares almost exclusively about the final product.

So season it how you want, wrap it up to cook it quicker, crank the heat if you need to (especially on beef), look for the jiggle and wiggle instead of obsessing over temp readings, and let yourself go! Enjoy it!

Cheers!

Comment

Look fantastic. Where did you get your Dino Bones from?

Comment

Bradleon I go the ribs at a specialty food and meat market here in Kansas City called McGonigales Market. https://www.mcgonigles.com/local-mar...p-kansas-city/ They were not cheap. I paid almost $10 per pound.

Comment

The amount of pepper on those is way too much. Was it fresh ground? I like to grind the pepper at least a few days before I put it on brisket or ribs to let it mellow out. A light sprinkling is plenty, you want it to enhance the meat, not overpower it. Watch Aaron Franklin’s YouTube videos to get a good visual of how much rub you should use. You should always be able to see the meat through the rub.

Comment

Nice write up.

smoke ring is as it does. Nothing more. Go back to the drawing Board with a plan and patience. Good eating is in front of you.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here