Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Approximate smoking time for 15lb Sirloin Tip Roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Approximate smoking time for 15lb Sirloin Tip Roast

Does anyone have an approximate idea how long it should take to smoke my large roast at 250 degrees? I will want to pul it about 135 degrees and have a bit of a window to let it rest but have a big crowd coming and don't want to have them wait for 2 hours to eat? Thanks.

I wish I took notes on the last one. I have another in the fridge off a home grown calf. It is getting the sous vide Q' treatment.

Comment

The thickness is what will determine the cook time. I find that anything from a cowboy steak to a Tri-Tip usually takes less than an hour and a half to hit 120F at which time I sear. I did a 4-bone prime rib roast recently that took about 2 hours to hit that mark. I would guess that unless you are looking at more than 4" thick it should take no more than four hours to hit about 120F - 125F internal temp.

Assuming you want some good smoke with a good bark/crust, I would allow four hours for smoke but pull it at 115F and finish in the oven (preferably convection) at say 325F or even 350F to set the bark and hit no more than 125F and let carryover finish it off to about 135F.

My gut tells me the you need about five hours, but maybe only four. You can hold in a faux-cambro if needed for a couple of hours. (Or in the oven at 170F wrapped in foil and a damp towel.)

NOTE!!! Holding in the oven means that you will need to open the door on a regular basis to let the heat out so it doesn't continue to rise in temp and cook beyond medium-rare (or medium).
      Last edited by boftx; July 29, 2018, 10:33 PM.

Comment

• Autopac
        Autopac commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. Defrosted this roast is about 5 " thick so will likely need all of 5 hours. Have the convection so will give that a whirl. Holding in faux-cambro makes sense so it is ready when quests are ready. Thanks. I will let you know how timing worked.

• boftx
        boftx commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll be curious to know how it turns out.

Sorry for delay in reporting back. Smoked at 235 and it hit 120F on one and 115F on the other in about 4 1/2 hours so had to remove early and place in cambro. It rested for about 1 1/2 hours and did rise to 135. I put back in a 450F for 25 min to develop bark and it worked out well. Used O'leary Cow rub and it was great. Outside was more medium but most was med-rare so everybody was happy. Sliced thin and served on buns with Carolina style BBQ sauce on side. Wanted to get some pictures before and after but after was to confusing and everybody was hungry. Thanks for your help..

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here